Author Topic: Making a Parts List from Veroboard Layout  (Read 4575 times)

bentchamber

Making a Parts List from Veroboard Layout
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »
Hi, I am trying to get started on a project, I just have some questions about parts- I want to make sure I get the right parts.
Here is the vero layout:

So from this drawing, I have the following parts list:
5x 470K resistor (is there a Wattage I need? or does any work or...?)
2x 47 K Resistor
1x 4K7 Resistor (not sure what this is...?)
1x 22K resistor
2x 1K resistor

1x 100UF Electrolytic Cap
1x 10 UF Electrolytic Cap
2x 47 Uf Electrolytic Cap

3x 2n2222a transistors
1x 14n001 silicone diode

Then, for the remaining Caps, I am unsure of what the values mean, this is my estimate, and I assume these are just regular film caps, like the small green ones or sprauge orange drops. I also assume that the voltage value for these caps can be anything, mix and match as long as it is >9v which will be used to power it.
2x 47 uf cap?
1x 4.7 uf cap?
1x 2.2 uf cap?
1x 100 uf cap?

I'm new to the form, and I think this would be the right place to put this but if not... let me know for next time. Any help would be appreciated.

vigilante397

Re: Making a Parts List from Veroboard Layout
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
I actually just built one of these using this exact layout, and I have to say it's one of the best fuzzes I've ever played.

Answers to your questions:

You have the resistors generally right, and I personally used 1/4 watt because 1/2 watt are annoyingly large when dealing with vero boards. "4K7" means 4.7 K, they just write it like that on the layout because decimal points can be hard to see.

The electrolytic capacitors are 10 uF (micro farads), 47 uF (x2) , and 100 uF.

The non-polarized capacitors (I generally use greenies and ceramic disc for smaller values or tight spaces) are:

100 nF (nano farads) = 0.1 uF [capacitor code 104]
47 nF = 0.047 uF [capacitor code 473]
4.7 nF (x2) = 0.0047 uF [capacitor code 472]
2.2 nF = 0.0022 uF [capacitor code 222]

1000 pF (pico farads) = 1 nF (nano farad)
1000 nF (nano farads) = 1 uF (micor farad)

Good luck and I hope this helps :)

P.S. - I found that with the texture pot below 10 o'clock or so was a little thin sounding so I increased the input capacitor (the 47 nF on the far left) to 100 nF and it beefed it up a little bit.
  • SUPPORTER
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

www.sushiboxfx.com

duck_arse

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
voltage rating on those electros should be 16V minimum, but 25V, 35V, 50V, 63V .......... will all dothe same job. it's just the size that differs.
"I think we're done here."

"rule #1 - don't paraphrase."

'redundant legs don't grease the skids'

vigilante397

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
voltage rating on those electros should be 16V minimum, but 25V, 35V, 50V, 63V .......... will all dothe same job. it's just the size that differs.

Very true. With vero builds I personally try to keep the components as small as possible (I used all 16v electrolytic caps on this build) as vero layouts often don't offer a lot of flexibility for larger components.
  • SUPPORTER
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

www.sushiboxfx.com