Help with wiring for a loop pedal

Started by R1dedal1ghtn1ng, March 29, 2014, 12:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R1dedal1ghtn1ng

First time poster and new member but long time diystompbox forum reader.  I was making a loop pedal for myself so i can quickly turn on 3 effects at once and I have run into wiring snag

My first attempt i used
all this did for me was create a glorified cut off switch.  all my effects were on and when i stomped it cut my bass signal off as well

My next attempt was something along the lines with my current box

for the explenation of my current set up we will say the terminals are left to right, top to bottom 1 through 6
1 is connected to my send
2 is connected to my receive
3 is connected to my guitar in
4 is my amp out
and 5 and 6 are my connection between both sides of the switch... i had found this design after looking online for a while at work the other night.  With this design though i cant get a single sound out of my amp.

Is there anyone here who might know what im doing wrong or how to fix this?  And is it possible for me to do this with a simple DPDT or do I need to upgrade to a 3DPDT.. obviously i would rather use a DPDT because i don't wanna wait a week for parts to come in.  Help would be appreciated.  Thanks guys

duck_arse

the first setup should work as drawn. does your current layout work? I think I can see some sleeve connections in the second layout. if you're using the metal box as the earth connection for all jacks, then you need to make sure you have only the tip connections wired to the switch. do you have a multimeter?

and welcome to the posting part of the forum.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

R1dedal1ghtn1ng

my brother might, i would have to check.  and ya the first read out gave me signal to my amp but when i turned it off to cancel my effects it would cut my guitar as well.  i don't have a desolderer so that's why i have all the extra gunk on my unwired tips, i just clipped the wires off. 
And what are sleeve connections? is that when my insulation on my wire is touching the connection?

duck_arse

the jack sockets have a tip and a sleeve, and sometimes a ring connection. there is a thread somewhere here with pictures, but I'll give it a go.

the end of a plug is the tip, it always carries the signal, sometimes called "hot". the handle/long part is the sleeve, and it is always the earth connection for our audio work. on a stereo plug there is a ring connection, called the ring, between tip and sleeve. looking at the socket on the right in yr pic, there is a "dinger" on the long finger, and this matches the "ding" on the plug. follow this finger around to the lug connected to it, and that is your tip.

the barrel part with the mounting nut is the sleeve, and you can see the tag that connects to it. this is the ground connection, when used. if you see a second, shorter dinger, it will contact the ring on a stereo plug, and will short to sleeve on a mono plug. this is used to switch power to pedals, or ignored in your case.

there are some times and types of jacks that have other switches that make when the plug is removed. don't worry about them. you just want to use the tag connected to the longest dingers on all four jacks.

duck_arse

Kipper4

Is it just me?
I cant see the bypass jumper!!!!!
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Jdansti

There's a bypass jumper on the two lower lugs as shown in the photo. The main problem as duck pointed out is the sleeves are connected to the switch.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

solderburn

Make sure the Tips aren't touching the box when the cable in inserted too, Grounding them out causing it to mute.
Dan

duck_arse

^   dinger

(my dinger is bigger than yours, jd. how'd that happen?)

Jdansti

I don't know. Everything's supposed to be bigger in Texas. ;)
  • SUPPORTER

R1dedal1ghtn1ng

so i took into account what you guys said.  Realized all my connections were on the sleeve and not the tip  :icon_redface:

Anyways, now when i go to hit the switch it cuts out my guitar signal completely but when the switch is active, i get a guitar signal but no effects in the mix.
I went and switch my layout back to the first attempt i did fyi

again, thanks all for the help and if someone can figure out what im doing wrong then it would be huge

edit: also i put some black electrical tape on the bottom of my box. my idea was maybe this would cancel out accidental grounding from the box touching the tip... would this actually be helpful or counter productive?

Jdansti

The tape won't hurt and could guard against an accidental short. It won't be necessary as your soldering skills improve.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

it is now time to confirm with yr brother about the meter, or shell out the bucks yourself. it'll pay for itself straight away, anyway, fixing this box.