Quick Q: MAX1044 UPverting á la Geofex

Started by cathexis, April 03, 2014, 02:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathexis

Using the schematic from
http://www.geofex.com/circuits/+9_to_33.htm
- can I use regular polarized electrolytics for the 10uF caps, if so which way should they be oriented?

I'm going to try making a 48v phantom power supply for a mic preamp I'm working on, so any caveats regarding that are most welcome as well!
Thanks!
/Lars

thelonious

Yes. Orient the + side of the caps to the charge pump/diodes side, and the - side of the caps toward ground.

I'm interested to hear if others think this will be a quiet enough solution for a phantom powered mic pre, though!

cathexis

Thanks! If I understand correctly all caps go with the + side towards the top of the schematic then?
I'll try this with my preamp and report back. If it's too noisy I'll go back to plan A: 32 AA batteries in series :)

thelonious

Yes, in the Geofex schem the caps would go with + toward the top side.

Quote from: cathexis on April 03, 2014, 03:47:41 PM
32 AA batteries in series :)

Ha! You could always use a small transformer instead! But if this Stompville article is correct, you should be ok with the charge pump: http://stompville.co.uk/?p=387. He adds additional filtering before the chip.

PRR

> back to plan A: 32 AA batteries in series

Five 9V batteries is close-enough for any P48 mike, and a lot less parts.
  • SUPPORTER

R.G.

... and it gets that vintage sound that you can't get any other way.
:icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

thelonious

What do you guys think about the noise level? Should more filtering be adding to the two schematics above for charge pump use with a mic pre, or would they be ok as is as long as it's a freq boosted pump ("S" designation)?

PRR

Getting any kind of buzzer "quiet" is all about the details, often no-obvious details like where conductors run.

Battery is inherently quiet.
  • SUPPORTER