News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Zoom Ms-50G

Started by deepMago!, April 08, 2014, 07:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepMago!

Hello,
today I bought this pedal. After performing Firmware Update I've thought about the possibility to control it via MIDI. It's not a declared feature but the firmware update seems to work via sysex because an error show by the zoom updater.
So... I've opened Cubase and create a new GM device. I've created a new MIDI track and select Channel 1. I've started to send MIDI control Change by selecting several GM banks and... at this moment selecting "slap bass 2" I can turn the effects ON. So I've to try the others to understand how can I change banks. I'm very happy!
The next step will be programming a PIC to control it or if it's possible hook up a standard midi pedalboard.
Anybody have tried the same?

deepMago!

After the first check seems that only Control change 0 - 49 command banks 1 -50. At the moment I'm not able to turns single effects On and Off nor send Tab Tempo and turn The Tuner On, but it's not bad at all.

arianxxx

So, any progress ? I made a DIY Footswitch do change the efects in one bank, but MIDI would be much more helpfull!!

deepMago!

No, I had read about usb protocol and I understand that It's not so simple like using the serial Midi Data. To do what I want I need an USB Host chip, because USB need a Master that simulate a PC.
I found an interesting project using Arduino Uno and USB host  Shield (40euros) on Youtube. There's a video where a man use this thing to change Patch on a Zoom G3 sending MIDI Control Change Data over Usb Host Shield.
The cons are that it's not so cheap and it's big, so I've search about "Midi over usb Host" on pic24, but... I cannot find programs already written. I can find Microchip library for serial over USB host but I'm not able to wrote the program, for now It's too difficult for me.
So I've resolved changing Patch with the sequential mode of the pedal and external switch to bypass the Ms-50g.