Author Topic: Pot Blow-up  (Read 13984 times)

deadastronaut

Re: Pot Blow-up
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »
yeah definitely buy a breadboard...saves a lot of time and money in the long run, plus you can tweak circuits too.. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
@jd - you know the smell of burnt carbon, right? which leads me to say ......

"we don't need no stinking pots".

my resistance didn't last long, did it? (that last joke comes free.)
"I think we're done here."

"rule #1 - don't paraphrase."

'redundant legs don't grease the skids'

Jdansti

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »
Which pot is Mr. Smokey? (VR1, VR2, or VR3)
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Jdansti

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
@jd - you know the smell of burnt carbon, right? which leads me to say ......

"we don't need no stinking pots".

my resistance didn't last long, did it? (that last joke comes free.)

;D ;D ;D In this case, the joke is absolutely relevant!

guysmiley

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
Which pot is Mr. Smokey? (VR1, VR2, or VR3)
VR2

Jdansti

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
@Guy-You're right, the photos are difficult to follow, especially where you might have linked two adjacent pads. I inverted the photo of the back side and overlaid the front to check the wiring to VR2. I get lost around the area where the power comes into the board.

For now, check for continuity between pins 12 and 13 (there should be). Check for continuity between pin 12 and ground (there shouldn't be).

As has been already mentioned, your soldering technique could be causing the problem. The same also makes it difficult to trouble shoot. If you don't already, I recommend using small dabs of flux on the pads before you solder to avoid fighting each solder point and to make it neater.

Thecomedian

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 06:33:13 PM »
Iron in, soldier in, solder out, iron out.

Try using some throwaway board and wire and practice this technique. Wattage on iron refers not to heat but to it's ability to continue pumping heat during a heat transfer process, or how quickly it heats back up after being depleted. Very low wattage irons, or irons without tinned tips can make the difference in good or poor heat transfer to the two metal spots you need to heat up to help solder flow.

If you have even a mono-filament hair of metal between two tracks, it'll short. Try doing the project with the Less is More philosophy approach to using solder. At the very least, things won't work instead of be a huge headache to debug while burning up product. I actually enjoy working with solder perfboard or vero more than using a plug-in breadboard. Components stay where I put them and there's less messing about with shoving wire in, but use whatever gets you the best result :)
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.