Cant put DPDT in a GCB95 Wah

Started by SISKO, April 19, 2014, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SISKO

Hi all, as the title says, im getting a hard time trying to install a dpdt on my crybaby wah. Ive made this operation many times in the past but somehow its killing me now. Bassicaly whats happening is that i get two cases: 1) theres not enough preassure for the swtich to be activated or 2) the preassure is big enough that it breaks the switch. The plastic part falls off the metal part of the DPDT. Ive lost like 3 or 4 swithces doing this..

I dont know why is this happennig. I guess that the quality of my DPDTs went down.. They are X-wings type.
I have some carling SPDT to try, but they are useless to me as i want true bypass.

So, is there any "standart procedure" to install the wah switch that im missing? Any advice?
--Is there any body out there??--

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: SISKO on April 19, 2014, 11:22:50 AM
Hi all, as the title says, im getting a hard time trying to install a dpdt on my crybaby wah. Ive made this operation many times in the past but somehow its killing me now. Bassicaly whats happening is that i get two cases: 1) theres not enough preassure for the swtich to be activated or 2) the preassure is big enough that it breaks the switch. The plastic part falls off the metal part of the DPDT. Ive lost like 3 or 4 swithces doing this..

I dont know why is this happennig. I guess that the quality of my DPDTs went down.. They are X-wings type.
I have some carling SPDT to try, but they are useless to me as i want true bypass.

So, is there any "standart procedure" to install the wah switch that im missing? Any advice?

Don't the switches usually have 2 metal nuts so you can control the height exactly?
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

SISKO

Yes, indeed. The problem is with this height, its too low or too high. It strikes me as it didnt hapen to me in the past :/

duck_arse

collect the nuts off all the broken ones.
don't make me draw another line.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: SISKO on April 19, 2014, 11:36:56 AM
Yes, indeed. The problem is with this height, its too low or too high. It strikes me as it didnt hapen to me in the past :/

You should have full control, so its going to be alot of 1/2 -1 Millimeter movements on that bottom NUT until its perfect, Unles you have a sticky rubber foot from something that you can put on top of the switch that might give you a bit o leeway with the pressure on the switch
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

SISKO

Quote from: duck_arse on April 19, 2014, 11:41:25 AM
collect the nuts off all the broken ones.

I do

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on April 19, 2014, 11:45:50 AM
You should have full control, so its going to be alot of 1/2 -1 Millimeter movements on that bottom NUT until its perfect, Unles you have a sticky rubber foot from something that you can put on top of the switch that might give you a bit o leeway with the pressure on the switch

Ill try again then.
I may have loose my practice on intalling wah swithces.. but is no rocket science. This, or i have a bad DPDT batch

Seljer

When searching for 'more travel'  I cut off too much of the rubber rocker stoppers on my wah and ended up with your situation. The switch either wouldn't work at all or you'd turn it on with the slightest stap.

I ended up playing with the nuts moving them forward and backward in 1/8 turn increments until I got a good "feel" from the switch.

Brymus

Quote from: SISKO on April 19, 2014, 11:36:56 AM
I noticed this on the one I just did,it had the SMD PCB.
While I didn't break any switches,I used washers between the switch and wah body,as a nut made it too low and no nut made it too high.
IIRC two stainless metal washers I use to replace the ugly white plastic one from a 3PDT made it perfect.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

jimilee

Quote from: Seljer on April 19, 2014, 02:41:42 PM

I ended up playing with the nuts moving them forward and backward in 1/8 turn increments until I got a good "feel" from the switch.
Sig worthy, quick somebody grab it!

Seljer

Quote from: jimilee on April 20, 2014, 12:21:47 AM
Quote from: Seljer on April 19, 2014, 02:41:42 PM

Sig worthy, quick somebody grab it!

It took me an hour to get it right!

SISKO

By carefully moving the nuts AND sticking a thin foam (or rubber idk..) on top of the switch, i am happy wah user again! No broken switch aby more
Thanks for all the advices, they all came really handy