questions questions questions

Started by tambek, October 10, 2003, 07:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tambek

so lets get started

1) I was wondering if there are any sloped front enclosures available anywhere.. or can i somehow make one myself..?

2) What kind of distortion pedal (schematic) would work best for a punkrock band..? Ive built mxr dist+ but i'm sure i can come up with smth better... maybe the same schematic, but just different parts... (i want it to sound like MxPx, POD, Linkin Park... smth like that).

3) What kind of guitar amps do you use? I was thinking about getting a Fender Frontman 25R or any 25... I'd be willing to pay around 250$...
or... if it's available in the us... then around 150$ (because of the shipping rates)...

Suggestions and answers bery welcome!

:)

Rodgre

Quote from: tambek1) I was wondering if there are any sloped front enclosures available anywhere.. or can i somehow make one myself..?

Hammond and LMB make sloped bent sheet metal boxes. They're a little on the pricey side, but they're great if you need them. If you've seen the Lovetone Brown Source and Big Cheese pedals, they're like that, or else like the Snarling Dogs pedals.

Quote from: tambek1)2) What kind of distortion pedal (schematic) would work best for a punkrock band..? Ive built mxr dist+ but i'm sure i can come up with smth better... maybe the same schematic, but just different parts... (i want it to sound like MxPx, POD, Linkin Park... smth like that).

Well, when I think of POD, Linkin Park, I don't think of the typical punk rock tone that I'm familiar with. Wouldn't you be closer to their tones by using some sort of high-gain metal distortion? There are a couple of schematics out here that are geared toward metal tones. You're probably looking for super high gain and possibly a scoopable midrange control.

Quote from: tambek
3) What kind of guitar amps do you use? I was thinking about getting a Fender Frontman 25R or any 25...

The Frontman amps are pretty big and warm sounding solid state amps. For those sorts of tones, I would probably suggest a solid state over a tube amp, as they react a little faster (faster attack) and sound tighter, and are better sometimes with high gain tones.

As for what kinds of amps I use, in the studio I use everything from Boutique stuff to a Pignose. Different amps for different tones. Live, I use a Vox AC30 RI with celestion blues. We have a small Frontman in the studio, one of the few solid state amps we have, and it has a solid clean tone. Very present and full sounding from such a small amp.  

Roger