My DS-1 Mods ... with sound clip.

Started by Melanhead, April 19, 2005, 09:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blustrat

In my pedal i used common ceramic caps instead of micas, the sound doesn't seem so bad.
Bye.

petesguitar1

Thanks heaps! Mods done - absoloutely blows a stock DS-1 off the stage.  :)
Excuse Me While I Kiss The Sky

Melanhead

Quote from: petesguitar1 on May 11, 2006, 03:03:38 AM
Thanks heaps! Mods done - absoloutely blows a stock DS-1 off the stage.  :)

Cool!

petesguitar1

I've now just finished my biggest weekend of fooling and the DS-1 was probably the most noticeable. I'm using it with a Marlique Deluxe (Twin H/B) into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I can get the most awesome sounds out of this rig now. 
Excuse Me While I Kiss The Sky

MartyMart

Just out of interest :

I've sold quite a few DS1/SD1/BD2/TS9's with various improvements for the last three years
I've just got a new "batch" of DS1's in for "upgrading" and use similar tweaks with a few
specific changes.
Comparing to a new "unchanged" one is something that I do a lot, and these kind of changes
including using either LED's or 1N4001's for diodes, produce an overall output level of around
twice the volume of an unmodded one !!
This is with tone/vol/gain all at 12 o'clock and using an A/B box to route to them rather than
in series ( though that is probably just as good )
Not only does this mean that it will "kick" an amp quite nice, also you can keep the levels down
and still be as "loud" as a stock pedal and the noise floor seems better also because of this.

Good stuff :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tungngruv

Hey Melanhead, I did your mods to my DS-1. I must say it is a completely different pedal now. It actually is a lot more versatile and the tone (while still having to dial in a sweet spot) is much better.

Melanhead

Quote from: tungngruv on June 13, 2006, 10:43:48 AM
Hey Melanhead, I did your mods to my DS-1. I must say it is a completely different pedal now. It actually is a lot more versatile and the tone (while still having to dial in a sweet spot) is much better.

Cool, Glad you like it!  I still have another one sitting around in pieces! ... just haven't had a minute to mod it ... or do anything else for that matter ... haven't built anything in months!

franee

Quote from: lenwood on March 23, 2006, 07:01:40 PM
Another thing you might like to try (I like it) is to change the output buffer to TS808 style
by changing R22 to 100ohm.

Has anybody tried this mod? What will this mod change?

vanhansen

Not a clue what the buffer mod does but I'm about to dig in to my DS-1 again for some more tweaking.  ;)  Just as soon as I put a new tip in my iron.
Erik

jimbob

I wasnt sure this thing could ever sound good. I thought of modding it like spraying flowery perfume on a turd. :)
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Melanhead

Quote from: jimbob on August 29, 2006, 01:10:02 PM
I wasnt sure this thing could ever sound good. I thought of modding it like spraying flowery perfume on a turd. :)

Pretty much!  :icon_mrgreen:

It can be made to sound better than stock but it's not my distortion of choice .... :icon_wink:

vanhansen

I started digging around in my DS-1 last night.  I've been wanting to try other diode combos for a while.  It's got one 1N4001 and one 1N4148 Si (stock type) now.  I also changed R13 back to 4.7k.  Now, I just need to work on getting rid of the mid scoop that happens and the slight volume drop when hitting a chord.  I think too much bass is getting through.  Any idea on how the mids can be increased?
Erik

Melanhead

vanhansen

Quote from: Melanhead on August 31, 2006, 07:16:56 AM
I think by lowering R16, IIRC ;)

I'll try that.  Thanks.  I've got a couple other changes to make too so I'll do that as well and see what happens.
Erik

WGTP

Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Spawn

Hey,

I'm new here, I've just made a booster and an overdrive pedal.
But I'd like that pdf of the keeley mod, I've spend the last half hour searching on the net, but I can't seem to find it.
Does anyone have the link? Because it would make things a lot easier for me, I haven't had much experience reading these schematics.

soupbone

Quote from: Spawn on November 02, 2006, 06:15:58 AM
Hey,

But I'd like that pdf of the keeley mod, I've spend the last half hour searching on the net, but I can't seem to find it.
Does anyone have the link? Because it would make things a lot easier for me, I haven't had much experience reading these schematics.

soupbone

Quote from: soupbone on April 23, 2014, 10:57:13 PM
Quote from: Spawn on November 02, 2006, 06:15:58 AM
Hey,

Opps..Just realized this was from '06.