Modified Dallas Rangemaster

Started by Baktown, April 25, 2014, 07:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baktown

Guys,

On the layout listed below, would it be possible to sub a linear pot for the SPDT On-Off-On switch that controls tone?

Thanks!

Rick

Arcane Analog

Yes - it has been done a million times and there are many layouts available.

peterg

Rick - connect sw1-pole to the pot's middle lug, sw1-a to one outside lug and sw1-b to the other outside lug. A 100k linear pot should do it.

Baktown

Gus

I might be a good idea to sim the mix control in the treble boost for your guitar and cable.
This is a part of the overall tone for the guitar to cable to the input of the effect interaction
Should read R5 and R11 go from 100K to 600K

Note the change in the curve from a mix control to a switched input cap setup.  Ignore the dotted curves

I simmed a number of different input caps(C7, C1) and mix potentiometer value for the first one

switched input caps

Baktown

Gus,

You totally lost me with all this!  LOL  I have no clue what any of this is...

Thanks anyway though!

Rick J

smallbearelec

If you are looking to do an NPN Germanium Rangemaster, please check out this article:

https://www.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardGeDarlingtons/BreadboardGeDarlingtons.htm

It explains how to get classic RM tone with inexpensive parts, and it's geared to beginners. The "pot as variable capacitor" idea is also in there. Once you have something you like on the breadboard, you can go to a complete pedal:

https://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/OhMyDarling/OhMyDarling.htm

either on perf or PC board. Also beginner-friendly, but the Bare Box platform ensures a professional, gig-worthy result.

Regards
SD

Gus

Quote from: Baktown on April 27, 2014, 10:04:06 PM
Gus,

You totally lost me with all this!  LOL  I have no clue what any of this is...

Thanks anyway though!

Rick J

Look at the curves (ignore the dotted curves)
The curves are the frequency response of the two different input setups

The circuits are Silicon NPN treble boosts with an external bias control R11
The first one is with a input tone/cap mix control R12, C7, C1
The different curves are the frequency response as R12 value is changed(turning the input tone/cap mix control).

The second is with different input caps multiply the numbers in the step param by .068uf so the first lighter green is .0068uf and the last .999X .068uf(can not use a 1 in a step param)

I posted this because the input tone mix control does not work the same way switching in different input cap values works
The parts to the left of "input" are a one pickup guitar cable sim

Baktown

Thanks for the info and help, guys!  Much appreciated!

Rick J

Arcane Analog

Just use a 4n7 to 100n or 1uF and you will be fine.