Good to know - FCC regulations

Started by Mark Hammer, May 06, 2014, 02:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

Ian...

You don't have to worry about it anyway.

The last that I heard....the FCC is a U.S. entity and only governs in the U.S. of A.

But....you never know...coming soon to a town near you....The WCC (World Communications Commission)  ;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

R.G.

Quote from: wavley on May 06, 2014, 04:32:15 PM
I'm a believer in FCC regulations when they aren't arbitrary and stupidly enforced. 
I'm a believer in regulations per se that are not arbitrary and stupidly enforced. Sadly, the actions of many governments is to make almost everything illegal, then enforce the rules selectively when they like.

Here's an interesting read:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w-whitehead/the-overcriminalization-of-america_b_1747000.html
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

slacker

I'm sure the EU has similar things for us to worry about.

This is quite a good read on the subject https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/398

GibsonGM

Quote from: R.G. on May 06, 2014, 05:09:29 PM
Quote from: wavley on May 06, 2014, 04:32:15 PM
I'm a believer in FCC regulations when they aren't arbitrary and stupidly enforced. 
I'm a believer in regulations per se that are not arbitrary and stupidly enforced. Sadly, the actions of many governments is to make almost everything illegal, then enforce the rules selectively when they like.

Here's an interesting read:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w-whitehead/the-overcriminalization-of-america_b_1747000.html

Good read, R.G. - thanks.   Wish it was a happier story, though!! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

midwayfair

I'm going to talk with my boss (I work at a law office) tomorrow to see if he has anything to say about it.

The only way out of this I see is that the FCC will have to approve specific devices, and not individual products, because if they don't they're harming an exceptionally wide range of audio equipment, not just guitar pedals. Hopefully one of the big players will push for that. OR maybe we can start a petition. Just reading the regulations, this makes a very, very wide swath of pedals illegal:

• Anything with a charge pump

• Anything that requires a clock chip to produce the effect -- analog octave down, bucket brigade delay/chorus/vibrato, etc.

• PT2399 delays and other digital delays -- so far as I can tell, everything involved in making analog delay pedals, with one notable exception, is now in violation. That exception is tape delays. I'm sure we'll all be thrilled to go back to THAT technology.

• Anything with tap tempo.

• Every pedal you can think of based on the FV-1 -- this covers a LOT of reverb pedals.

• All those reverbs based on the Belton brick -- this covers most of your other reverbs.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

R.G.

Quote from: midwayfair on May 06, 2014, 05:43:29 PM
... because if they don't they're harming an exceptionally wide range of audio equipment, not just guitar pedals.
Sadly, the recent direction of the US government is to simply tell you what you have to do because they think it's good for you. "Harms a lot of people" doesn't seem to get into the considerations much.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: slacker on May 06, 2014, 05:02:24 PM
Ha ha I should just shut up or learn to write what I actually mean. As hobbyists you don't have to get stuff you make for personal use tested and certified. If the FCC come and tell you to stop polluting the airwaves you have to stop. That seems to be the size of it.
Pretty much.  Such agencies can get stoopid, but are generally limited by the budget they have to work with.  No inspectors, no enforcement.

I'm just curious about why 9khz.  Why there and not, say, 8khz, or 20khz?  Anyone have any technical insight as to the origins of that boundary/threshold?  Is there any sort of more recent technology operatng in that zone whose functioning might possibly be interfered with?  For example, any health devices, pumps, electrical stimulators, etc. whose functioning can be interfered with?

amz-fx

Apparently the New-Sensor-EHX people do not read DIYstompboxes since I posted a notice about a similar incident over eight years ago.

Check it out: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=42399.0

I just picked up a couple of digital pedals off my pedalboard and they had FCC compliance stickers on the back (Digitech and Boss pedals).

regards, Jack

R.G.

Mike is not big on reading, maybe.  :icon_biggrin:

If you want to see a frenzy, wait for when - not if - someone gets electrocuted by a custom/boutique amplifier that wasn't built to safety standards.
R.G.

amz-fx

Quote from: R.G. on May 06, 2014, 06:50:51 PM
If you want to see a frenzy, wait for when - not if - someone gets electrocuted by a custom/boutique amplifier that wasn't built to safety standards.

No doubt.

I just looked at my Arduino Uno and it has an FCC compliance statement in the manual but not attached to the device. I'm not sure that is completely legal.  The Chinese Arudino clone that I have has nothing related to FCC compliance.

regards, Jack

italianguy63

The Chinese will just keep selling with no regard-- (what are we going to do about it)?  And, we will all be felons.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

R.G.

It's a common problem with really low-end electronics that the buyer can have whatever they like printed on the device, the packaging, whatever.

I do however, envision a New! Improved!! FCC arming its agents and swarming over incoming containers at ports in a highly news-friendly mode (i.e., we tipped off the networks that there would be a raid) so they can get in on the SWAT team, ATF, EPA and Forest Service, and BLM's recent promotion of their enforcement arms to military police status.
R.G.

italianguy63

Why can't they focus on stuff that really hurts people?  Like counterfeit designer purses, Tiffany jewelry, and sneakers?
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

Quote from: armdnrdy on May 06, 2014, 04:53:35 PM
I doubt that the rules don't actually apply to hobbyists. The FCC is obviously concerned with interference of some kind.

They shouldn't apply if one is truly a hobbyist; that doesn't mean someone can't mangle enforcement but they are marketing rules and appear on the surface as fairly specific:

QuoteTitle 47, Volume I, Chapter I, ยง2.803, includes the sale or lease, or offer to sell or lease your musical instrument product, including advertising in any form. Marketing also includes importing, shipping or distributing a product for the purpose of selling or leasing.

So for accuracy's sake, selling one's pedal wares isn't necessarily a hobbyist but yes interference at least was the initial concern IIRC.

I do agree outside of this issue that some FCC interference rules are good, I don't really want some guy next door rendering every digital device in my home essentially unusable when he fires up his widget or grandpa going "face in the plate" because someone fried his pacemaker from three houses away.

With the widespread use and sheer dependence on technology these days, I think this window is going to get smaller and more restricted/complex. Will someone try to exploit the rules to their gain? Exploitation comes with the territory even if there aren't' rules.

davent

Quote from: amz-fx on May 06, 2014, 07:00:20 PM
Quote from: R.G. on May 06, 2014, 06:50:51 PM

No doubt.

I just looked at my Arduino Uno and it has an FCC compliance statement in the manual but not attached to the device. I'm not sure that is completely legal.  The Chinese Arudino clone that I have has nothing related to FCC compliance.

regards, Jack

Somewhere in my perusing today there was mention that if the device was too small to carry a legible attached notice it then had to be printed in the owners manual or something to that effect.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Dave W

look at the manual from BOSS digital f/x. they have a statement of compliance written in them. i remember seeing that in the 1990's in a dd-3 i purchased.
so.... EH had to know about this. mr. matthews is savvy businessman. i find it hard to believe he had no knowledge of these regs. why didn't he/they address this?
i have some thoughts about this but will refrain from posting them. don't want to start a firestorm here....
That's where it's at.

GibsonGM

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 06, 2014, 07:10:54 PM
Why can't they focus on stuff that really hurts people?  Like counterfeit designer purses, Tiffany jewelry, and sneakers?

Because the name of the game is, and always has been, to protect your "friends" and take down your "enemies".  Gibson gets raided, but Martin doesn't - but they use the SAME "illegal" wood???  Raw milk raids?  The list is long.    Follow the money: who donates where?  Who doesn't?    Who stands to gain from this action?  << this one is a biggie...someone out there is going to gain from EH's problem...

They don't USUALLY make these laws/regulations because they protect or help folks;  they are playing favorites. 
Don't want to start a firestorm, either, ha ha, but sometimes it happens! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

JohnForeman

EHX should have taken that money, bought lots of guns and ammo and told the FCC to stick in their ass.  It worked for a Nevada rancher!

seedlings

On the flip side, it appears the diy pedal community has the capability to take down governments. Maybe on that missing maylasian flight there was a suitcase with a battery powered chorus engaged.

CHAD

attyguitarplayer

Quote from: midwayfair on May 06, 2014, 05:43:29 PM
I'm going to talk with my boss (I work at a law office) tomorrow to see if he has anything to say about it.

The only way out of this I see is that the FCC will have to approve specific devices, and not individual products, because if they don't they're harming an exceptionally wide range of audio equipment, not just guitar pedals. Hopefully one of the big players will push for that. OR maybe we can start a petition. Just reading the regulations, this makes a very, very wide swath of pedals illegal:

• Anything with a charge pump

• Anything that requires a clock chip to produce the effect -- analog octave down, bucket brigade delay/chorus/vibrato, etc.

• PT2399 delays and other digital delays -- so far as I can tell, everything involved in making analog delay pedals, with one notable exception, is now in violation. That exception is tape delays. I'm sure we'll all be thrilled to go back to THAT technology.

• Anything with tap tempo.

• Every pedal you can think of based on the FV-1 -- this covers a LOT of reverb pedals.

• All those reverbs based on the Belton brick -- this covers most of your other reverbs.

I am an attorney. I can post the FCC regs the violated on here. I like how they are citing them with violation of law passed in 1932. Next time the FCC proposes rule changes, the public has the right to comment and I would suggest that we all submit our comments to something that effects musicians.

Here is a PDF from the FCC. If is easier to read. http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-706A1.pdf
THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. NOR DOES IT FORM AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. IF YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY OR LEGAL ADVICE CONTACT AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR JURISDICTION