The Aefea Drive - a simple one-chip diversion

Started by Mark Hammer, May 13, 2014, 07:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cab42

Thanks, Mark. I was thinking along those Lines, that the extra diodes did not contribute much. But I must admit that I missed that the rat did not have any diodes in the feedback loop  when looking at the schematic :icon_redface: so your suggestions makes a lot of sense.

I think I will try a switch that switches out the feedback diodes and switches in the diodes to Ground.

I could also just build a rat  :icon_mrgreen:

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

Mark Hammer

Given that some of the magic of a Rat comes from the use of an externally compensated LM308, and much less comes from the use of diodes to ground, making a Rat might not be such a bad idea.  On the other hand you could use the diode switch to contrast between asymmetrical clipping (stock) and symmetrical hard clipping.  Might sound different.  Might be appealing to you.  You never know until you try.

bool

Leds in opamp nfb running into silicon diodes-to-ground clipper is a time-tested combination.

Ben N

Quote from: bool on March 17, 2019, 07:22:56 AM
Leds in opamp nfb running into silicon diodes-to-ground clipper is a time-tested combination.
So that by the time the hard clipping, high threshold LEDs kick in, you're already well up into the gain range of the pedal, and then you get that little extra bit of limiting?
  • SUPPORTER

bool

That "little bit extra" depends on how much "gain" you dial-in. Mainly, it's a different method of hard-clipping, and it gives a bit more consistency compared to running a opamp into rails (which depends on exact rail voltage - meaning the circuit will work different if your battery is low or if it is brand new ...).