Problem with guitar volume pot with SHO

Started by samthinguy, May 31, 2014, 10:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samthinguy

Good evening, I've been searching the forum trying to find an answer for this but I believe that I am stumped.  I built a SHO on a breadboard.  The effect seems to work as designed adding brightness and a pretty significant boost but I've found that when it is on and use the volume knob on my guitar I get a cut out and buzz.  My guess is some how DC is being sent back to my pickups but I can't figure out how?  I had to modify some values in the circuit because I didn't have the right part.  I've played around with these but none of them seem to fix the problem.  I'm using a 10K pot for the crackle knob and I've played with the r3 (resistor from 9v) value. 

Thank in advance for any help

PRR

• SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: samthinguy on May 31, 2014, 10:41:44 PM
Good evening, I've been searching the forum trying to find an answer for this but I believe that I am stumped.  I built a SHO on a breadboard.  The effect seems to work as designed adding brightness and a pretty significant boost but I've found that when it is on and use the volume knob on my guitar I get a cut out and buzz.  My guess is some how DC is being sent back to my pickups but I can't figure out how?  I had to modify some values in the circuit because I didn't have the right part.  I've played around with these but none of them seem to fix the problem.  I'm using a 10K pot for the crackle knob and I've played with the r3 (resistor from 9v) value. 

Thank in advance for any help

sounds to me like an impedance issue.

i would do what paul suggests above.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pappasmurfsharem

and for fun attach a pic of your breadboard and the schematic you used.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Arcane Analog

It could be perfectly normal when used with your particular guitar.

Quote from: zvex
WARNING: The very high input impedance of this pedal can cause strange reactions (sometimes mildly pleasant and/or arousing) when used with a vintage 'junk' (read 'cool') guitar. The solution is to simply lower the 'crackle okay' gain knob a little or leave the guitar volume wide open. Each Super Hard-On is unique in it's reaction... you may have to try a few till you find one that perfectly matches a really strange guitar. They are optimised for the major brands. Any problems will only occur at the highest gain settings with an unusual guitar.

http://www.zvex.com/hardon.html