Iron Butterfly fuzz wah.

Started by digi2t, June 24, 2014, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackieNYC

Maybe old news, but I believe the "tone" control is, just like the fuzz rite, not a tone control but a panner between the two transistors. In this case a different filter is added to each. No? 
On the fuzz rite, it really just sweeps between two very different distortions, nothing filter-y about it. Tried reducing the size of the panner to reduce the attenuation in the middle, but it just took away some diversity from the fuzz. Like the man said, output stage. 
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Electron Tornado

Finally ran across the video this evening. The sound of the fuzz with the reverb really reminded me of this band:

Quote from: digi2t on July 06, 2014, 01:20:05 PM
OK, I finally got a video done. Fuzz alone first, and then fuzz wah together.

Doesn't sound half bad. Got that old school fuzz feel to it. I think it's almost worth sticking into a wah shell... if I had one to spare. :icon_rolleyes:

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

pinkjimiphoton

hey dino, finally hoping to take a crack at this puppy, any chance you could re-up the vero/schematic for this puppy please?
gonna try and stick it in one of them nasty old shell i found ;)

thanks bro!!!  :icon_mrgreen:

this thing sounds like something i am gonna really dig ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

awesomeness brother, thanks!!
i just won one of these things to stick it in ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diplomat-DTM-1-Multi-Wah-Guitar-Pedal-Distortion-Chorus-For-Parts-or-Repair-/292289139078?nma=true&si=92NiRoSuFIrqieMW8mq6v%252BWJgUc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

will probably have to re-lay the vero to make it so it will fit, but well worth it!!
thanks dino you rock bro!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

BetterOffShred

Oh my! That's a pretty cool enclosure Jimi..  I'm excited to see how this turns out!    They should have put some fins on the enclosure like that old Dano pedal, it kind of looks like an old Cadillac or something hah! 

pinkjimiphoton

i've had a couple of these now, i think i sent the last shell to dave (old school analog) years ago. this one should do nicely. the stock circuit is terrible sounding. basically a "dinosaur" multi effect. total cheeze!

i'll likely have to layout the board specifically for this enclosure, but we'll see once it comes in.

i'm figuring the extra hole etc will be a good place to add a boost.

i almost got the fuzzwahs that started this whole mess on ebay. i forget the exact deal, but i think i bought a COUPLE  of them cuz they were cheap... the guy didn't know what he had.. then he cancelled the auction and trebled the price,,, if memory serves. years ago!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Aph

Cool, interesting thread. Thanks to digi2t for all the work.
So, I breadboarded just the fuzz... and it sucked. I hated the tone control. Loss of volume AND tone (tone-less control?).
I took that out, found some low gain trannies, and basically just added a volume control. Way better!
Now it's a great thin, raspy fuzz that's takes me back to the old country (you know, the 60's).
Note: I actually didn't even think to check hFE on the transistors before putting them in, but I measured a bunch still in my stash and they were all 35-40.
Note 2: I measured using an old crappy Tenma multimeter, so the above may be moot.

GibsonGM

Any chance you could post a quick sound sample?  I'm back in Fuzz phase (again), might want to give this a try!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Aph

pinkjimiphoton

i diggit. yeah, it isn't about sounding good, per se...

decided when that diplomat/dinosaur piece of crap came in i'd take a peek.. couple broken wires.
all fixed now. the distortion isn't bad, kinda in the mxr distortion + territory tonally (i didn't bother to look at the circuit)
the wah of course sucks baalz
the chorus is the sweeper... analong with 3207 bbd's! surprised how good it sounded. so i decided i'm gonna wait til i find another one and do this project then.
the shitty fuzz with the shitty wah is a thing of beauty into a cranked to the point of meltdown amp ;)
i'll get to it one day.
thanks for the report!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

GibsonGM

Thanks Aph!   That's REALLY a very compressive tone (look at the soundcloud wave form, ha ha)...I like it!  Good bloom and decay...it's got the 'rasp', but also decent sustain.

I'll breadboard that one  :) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Aph

Great!
I'm picking sort of hard with all down strokes... that seems to really bring it out.
Try some different trannies. I didn't think these metal cased low gain puppies that I've had for almost 30 years had it in them.
The demo was just one spot on the dwell control. There's about three spots on that control that I really like (I could've used a switch... ha!).

Thanks for the comments,  jimi... that pedal you've got is unbelievable. Okay, maybe the sounds aren't (except the chorus)... but it's still cool.