Author Topic: new to pedal building  (Read 19574 times)

ncstrat95

new to pedal building
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Hey guys im really interested in building pedals but I have no experience. The closest thing Ive ever done electronically wise was put new pickups in my guitar. So i was wondering what you would recommend for a good beginners project.

Hemmel

Re: new to pedal building
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
This depends a lot on your electronics experience.
It'd be nice to know if we should suggest either "do a fuzz face" or "read up on basic circuitry"...

ncstrat95

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
well ive been reading up on soldering components to the board but that's about it.

Hemmel

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »
Some might disagree, but I would strongly suggest you read a little about circuitry before actually starting soldering a circuit on a board and firing it up.

Aron (the admin here) has a very nice Wiki page where you can easily check what you need before starting your own stompboxes.

ncstrat95

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »
Ok. I will definitely read all of that. Once I get a good understanding of building what do you think would be a good first project.?

Jdansti

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 07:11:33 PM »
Welcome!  There's a beginners fuzz project in this beginner's forum.

Here's a good soldering video. The only thing I disagree with in it is where he says to cut the component leads before soldering. I think it's fine to cut them after you solder.

Guitar Gear Reviews

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »
I'd have to suggest an LM-386 based amp/pedal.  Unlike the germanium transistors and parts that might be harder to find for building a Fuzz Face, LM-386's are about as common and cheap as dirt, and maybe a little easier to understand.  And there's probably a few hundred variations on them out there.  It's a great way to get a little electrical experience before moving on to more complicated stuff (and cheap too!)

Good luck with your building!

Hemmel

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »
I agree with this last post, totally.
I'm going to up one and suggest you go to www.ti.com and click on "Sample & Buy".

It's free, you can get a few samples of many ICs from Texas Instruments by Fedex, usually within 2 business days.

I got a few LM386 that way.

Guitar Gear Reviews

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
Free samples?  How did I miss out on that?!? :o

Luke51411

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »
Free samples :icon_eek: it seems to be all surface mount though

Mustachio

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »
Nope, There are plenty of 8 pin dip packages, Check out the opa2134pa nice chip available in quantities of 3 for testing purposes from Ti. You do have to register, login, and do searches for IC's to see availability . Texas Instruments makes Burr Brown devices.

I'd like to suggest getting a kit from one of the pedal kit company's like General Guitar Gadgets. You get the easy to solder pcb and all the parts and pre drilled enclosure and nicely written easy to follow instructions. What could be easier its like paint by numbers!

Having a good soldering iron is key , it doesn't have to be super expensive just has to work good. Make sure your not using some giant wood burning iron , that will just make things hard at the start. And don't use plumbers solder. And wear eye protection! Be safe overall, be overly safe overall! Safety gear is uber cool!

Luke51411

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »
Ah, I figured it out, got some lm13700, opa2134, and lm386 thanks for the info!

Mustachio

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 11:48:28 PM »
Nice Luke! Yeah I know I spent hours on the TI site checking out all the cool free stuff :) great for prototyping.

This might sound weird but the chips I got from TI in my hand felt heavier and all the leads felt thicker. The LM13700 in particular seemed to weigh much more than the lm13700s from tayda. That's not saying anything about their performance , I haven't noticed a difference in sound from one to the other. The ones from TI just felt more robust in the hand.

Another thing to mention is I think when I ordered my samples, which I've only done once so far, I got them within like 2 days, I remember being shocked at how fast they showed up.

bluebunny

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 04:26:46 AM »
Read some of the tech pages at Beavis.  F'rinstance, check this out:

<--- click

This example explains what everything in the LPB-1 booster does.  Read it until you understand it.  Then build it!

P.S. And do what these guys ^^^ have said too.  It's all good advice.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »
no one else has said it yet, so I will.

get yerself a breadboard. you can "learn circuits" before you need to "learn soldering".

Luke51411

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »
+1 on the breadboard. It helped me learn to read schematics and is a great tool for experimenting

rutabaga bob

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
ncstrat: welcome to the forum!  You have entered into a hobby that will border on addiction before you know it!  ;D

CHEERS!
Larry

mth5044

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
I would stay away from the LM386 amps for the firs project and go with a boost/something simple like the LPB linked to by bluebunny. The combo of IC and speaker makes it not the greatest first project, IMO!

ncstrat95

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
Alright guys before I tackle my first project Im goin to read some more on pedal building and then I plan to do a ds1 keeley mod just to get comfortable with soldering on boards. I know people are saying I should try a lpb first but I heard fuzz pedals are easy to build to. Can someone give me a link for a good fuzz schematic

Luke51411

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
Modding cheap boss pedals was how I got started. It's a good intro into the hobby.