Zendrive clone IC chips shootout

Started by nibak, July 17, 2014, 03:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nibak

That is my zendrive clone. Kit by Uwe http://www.uk-electronic.de
The kit comes with AD712.
I heard that Lovepedal are not sanding the IC chip and that is NE5532P.
So I decided to give it a go. Here is the result. I've recorded a small sample on my jamman and after that a ran it through the Zendrive clone while changing the settings and recorded it on my comp.
Let me know what you think. I cannot believe my ears anymore. Too afraid I might be biased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIUQlezKhxY

nibak

aron

Pretty smart to use the looper, I need to do this!
They sound pretty close. Here's the deal what the looper does is tell you the overall sound. However, how do the 2 chips _feel_? Sometimes the feel is more important than the overall tone especially if they sound close.

bool

Quote from: aron on April 03, 2015, 12:41:52 AM
Sometimes the feel is more important than the overall tone especially if they sound close.
This - every time.

maiko

overdriver999

I will have to try the ne5532 ...I think it called for tl072 or 71 can't quite remember.. Better open it up and check and swap around a bit.
how much wood can a woodchuck really chuck?

mcknib

I've built the gpcb zenith pro which allows you to mod the hell out of it e.g customise the clipping section and add extra gain to the output buffer stage etc. the idea being it lets you customise it to your liking and the bonus being you learn a whole lot about the circuit.

Unfortunately I never completed my planned mod life got in the way! but there were a couple of mods posted for the circuit a transparent T style dumbly mod and a Marshall silver jubilee mod

From my notes as well as the 4558 here's what I tried

OPA2604
TL072
TL082
LM358
LM1458N

The biggest difference I noticed was to do with noise at high gain with the main culprit being the LM358 or it could have been my soldering!

To my ears the best were the OPA2604, TL082, TL072 and LM1458N in that order although I never noted the changes I made to the circuit I did change a few resistor values and used the IRF520, BS170 and 2N7000 in the clipping section.

I liked the IRF520 the best, I was going for a cleaner tube type sound to give me a bit of a jangle which I achieved but as I say never noted the resistor values I changed (doh!) and as already mentioned I too went with what felt right and sounded nice to me.

Anyway I hope this is of some use I should add that I never looked at any datasheets to see if there were any differences in slew rate, bandwidth etc. I'm a kinda stick it in and strum type guy!

Here's a list for easy dual op amp selection to try

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/ChipDataEbook-1d/html/OpAmpList.html

overdriver999

I took out the 5532 and put the tlo72 in for a little less gain..I have Hi gain pedals for that chip,and have a red led instead of the jumper in the diode section ..sounds pretty good to my ears for now at least..thanks for sharing the link
how much wood can a woodchuck really chuck?