this looks totally useful... and CHEAP!!

Started by pinkjimiphoton, July 21, 2014, 02:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stallik

Ordered this one a couple of months ago. It arrived in the UK in 3 days later!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161002450834
Wanted it for checking out transistors but have ended up using it for lots besides. Readings seem to match my Uni-T 60 but capacitance readings appear to be more stable on this little thing. It kind of looks like the internals of a little Peak meter?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

vigilante397

Quote from: stallik on July 22, 2014, 07:54:43 PM
Ordered this one a couple of months ago. It arrived in the UK in 3 days later!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161002450834
Wanted it for checking out transistors but have ended up using it for lots besides. Readings seem to match my Uni-T 60 but capacitance readings appear to be more stable on this little thing. It kind of looks like the internals of a little Peak meter?

That's the exact one I have and I love it. I don't remember how long shipping was to the states but I believe it was around a week or so.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Luke51411

therecordingart

Subscribing to this. If these are good I'm going to order one and an CNC an enclosure.

vigilante397

Quote from: therecordingart on July 25, 2014, 03:55:51 PM
Subscribing to this. If these are good I'm going to order one and an CNC an enclosure.

That would be a good idea. I really like mine but I do wish I had a sturdy enclosure to keep it in.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

electrip

Quote from: vigilante397 on July 25, 2014, 04:38:27 PM
Quote from: therecordingart on July 25, 2014, 03:55:51 PM

That would be a good idea. I really like mine but I do wish I had a sturdy enclosure to keep it in.
Try this one:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/271556264712
Got mine for 29€ in an auction.
Shipping from germany so no additional taxes in the EU.
Really handy for fast checking of any part on your workbench.

For transistors and diodes nothing beats a PEAK Atlas DCA75 connected to a PC.

electrip

karbomusic

Literally just opened it, pretty cool once I figured out just where to place the transistor:

Zero instructions but I did find his website and was able to get this much translated:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w4004-2018583620.2.ZOF8sF&id=38407360227

PCB dimensions: 63*71 mm weight: about 48g

LCR-T4 graphical multifunction testing instrument of resistance + c + diode + SCR + l + +MOS triode tube

12864 LCD LCD with backlight, backlight color is yellowish-green.

Power supply 9V stacked battery. If the power supply for a long time, you can use 2 lithium battery 8.4V battery powered.

Function

* Added power voltage detection function
* Automatic detection of PNP and NPN transistor, n-channel and p-Channel MOSFET, diode (including dual-diode), thyratron tube,Components such as transistors, resistors and capacitors,

* Automatically test the pin of the component, and display on the LCD
* Can detect transistor, MOSFET protection diodes, such as the zoom factor and to determine base-emitter transistor forward biased voltage
* Measure the gate threshold voltage and gate capacitance of the MOSFET
12864 LCD * display LCD (128 * 64 characters)
* Higher testing speed, component tests the validity period: 2 seconds (except in the larger capacitors,Large capacitance measurement also takes a long time, measuring time to 1 minute is normal)

* One-touch operation, power on the test, one-click fix.
* Power consumption shutdown mode: less than 20 nA
* Auto power off function, you can avoid unnecessary waste, saving battery power, improve battery life.

The following features for M8 and M168 Advanced Edition version are different **** please choose according to their needs of *********

1. ATmega8,ATmega168 or ATmega328 microcontroller.
2. 2x16 character liquid crystal display displays the results.
3. One-button operation, automatic power off.
4. Shutdown current 20nA only supporting battery operation.
5. Low cost versions without Crystal, and supports automatic power off. Software version 1.05k when measuring the ATmega168 or ATmega328 without using sleep mode to reduce power consumption.
6. Automatic detection of PNP and NPN bipolar transistor, n and p-Channel MOSFET,JFET, diode dual diode, thyristor SCR.
7. Automatic PIN layout.
8. Measure the current bipolar transistor threshold voltage amplification coefficient and emission knots.
9. Darlington transistors can be a high threshold voltage and high-current amplification factor recognition.
10. For bipolar transistors, MOSFET protection diode testing.
11. Measuring MOSFET threshold voltage and gate capacitance value.
12. Supports two resistance measurements and symbols appear, the highest four-digit digital display and the unit. Display symbol is the tester probes at both ends of the resistance number (1-3). Potentiometer can also be measured. If the potentiometer adjustment to one end and tester cannot distinguish between the middle and the ends of the pins.
13. Resistance measurement resolution of 0.1 ohms, maximum measurement value 50M ohms.
14. A capacitor can be detected and measured. Up to four digits and the units displayed. Values can be from 25pf (8MHz clock 50pF@ 1MHz clock) to 100mF. Resolution up to 1 pF (@ 8MHz clock).
15. For 2UF more than value of capacitor equivalent series resistance (ESR) capacitance measurements. 0.01 ohm resolution and display two-digit numeric value. This feature requires at least Flash 16K ATMEGA (ATmega168 or ATmega328).
16. Two diodes can be shown symbols in the right direction. In addition, the display forward voltage drop.
17. LED testing diode, forward voltage drop is much higher than normal. Two light emitting diode dual diode.
18. Zener diodes can be detected, if the reverse Breakdown voltage is below 4.5V. This will appear as two diodes, can only be determined by voltage. Probe round the diode symbol is the same, in this case, you can use the 700mV real identification of threshold voltage diode anode!
19. This year know that, do not turn the ****
If more than 3 diodes part tests established diode shows the number of failed messages. This will only happen, if the diode is connected to all three probes, and at least one diode. In this case, you should only connect the two probe and start the measurement again, one by one.
20. Measurements of a single diode reverse capacitance value. Bipolar transistor can also be measured, if you connect the base and collector or emitter.
21. Just need a measurement to find out full-bridge connections.
22. Number below 25pf capacitors usually is not detected, or at least in parallel with a diode 25pf capacitors in parallel. In this case, you must subtract the parallel capacitance of the part.
23. Measurement below 2100 Ohm resistance inductor, ATMEGA if you have at least Flash 16K. Range from the 0:01mH over 20H, but accuracy is not good. Survey results show only a single component connections.
24. Testing time is approximately two seconds, only the capacitance and inductance measurement will take a long time.
25. Software before you can set auto power off the measuring frequency.
26. Built-in self test feature check with optional 50Hz signal clock frequency accuracy and waits for the call (the ATmega168 and ATmega328).
27. Optional equipment calibration port output impedance and zero disorder self-test capability of measurements (the ATmega168 and ATmega328). Need a 100nF to 20uF capacitor connected between pin 1 and pin 3 to compensate for offset voltage analog comparator. 40uF capacitor measuring errors can be reduced. Using the same internal calibration of capacitor voltage and reference voltage is found to adjust the internal reference measurement ADC gain.
If the test current exceeds the holding current, thyristor and TRIAC can be detected. But some semiconductor thyristor and TRIAC currents higher than the tester can provide trigger current. Provides the test current is about 6mA! Note that all functionality is used only there are more program memory of the microcontroller as the ATmega168.

IvIark

Has anyone tested any of these with JFETs?  I've got a DCA55 and am tempted to get the DCA75 just for the JFET measurement, but it would be great if one of these did similar

karbomusic

Here's another pic...

I also found that the diode tester is pins 1/3. If you reverse the diode and rerun the test, it flips around in the display. How cool is that?

karbomusic

I don't know how accurate it is, but it sure is cool....

Resistor

Capacitor

Diode/LED

Trimpot

Buzz

I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

bluebunny

That is so...
           (gets wallet out...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

karbomusic

Quote from: Buzz on August 01, 2014, 12:33:16 AM
Karbo, where did you order yours from?

Hi Buzz, I ordered from the ebay link in the first post.

Buzz

I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

FUZZZZzzzz

Just ordered one too! Thanks for the links guys! Hope it will fit into the enclosure I have in mind. ;)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

GibsonGM

Looks pretty cool! I ordered one about a week ago...they say up to 6 weeks' shipping, so we'll have to wait to see what it can do!   I'd think it might have a lot of use with inductors, roll yer own, that kind of thing.   

>>>>>"I don't know how accurate it is, but it sure is cool...." >>>>>

You could take some wire of a known gauge, look up the resistance per foot, and test a foot of it!  See if it's close...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Luke51411

Whoever is selling these should thank Jimi for the spike in sales!!! :icon_mrgreen:

armdnrdy

Quote from: karbomusic on July 31, 2014, 11:32:38 PM

Maybe you can test a few components (resistors, caps) with a meter to compare readings to get a rough idea.

Question: In your images I see something that resembles a small piece of electrical tape at the top center on the display.

What is this thing?
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Ice-9

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 01, 2014, 08:56:09 AM

Question: In your images I see something that resembles a small piece of electrical tape at the top center on the display.

What is this thing?

From what i can make out in the pictures that looks like the ribbon cable that comes from the display to connect to the pcb.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

karbomusic

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 01, 2014, 08:56:09 AM

Maybe you can test a few components (resistors, caps) with a meter to compare readings to get a rough idea.

What is this thing?

It's the ribbon cable for the LCD display. On the accuracy yep, I'll get around to it. The one in the screenshot is 100 ohm and reads 100.1, I'll check that against my other three meters just to see how far they all disagree.  Its about 5n off for caps from my other meter (uncalibrated). If you notice that small three way pad thing just to the right of the pin holder, I think that is some calibration access. See the notes I posted above from the website so it might can be calibrated.

If we can decrypt the translated info I pasted further up we might be able to spec this thing out and calibrate properly. It uses an ATmega328 FYI.

Also FYI: I ordered my on 7/22 and it arrived yesterday so not too long of a wait.