this looks totally useful... and CHEAP!!

Started by pinkjimiphoton, July 21, 2014, 02:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemmel

Just bought it. Karbo's screenshots got me ! ;)
Bââââ.

armdnrdy

Or maybe someone can reprogram for GE leakage..... :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

karbomusic

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 01, 2014, 09:31:38 AM
Or maybe someone can reprogram for GE leakage..... :icon_wink:

I know I thought the same thing!

armdnrdy

A couple more questions:

What is that thing to the right of the display?

I'm thinking about housing one of these in an ABS enclosure. If I'm interpreting what I see correctly, there are only three "test" pins, with pin #1 being duplicated for orientation, and for lead spacing. Is this correct?
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

karbomusic

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 01, 2014, 09:45:42 AM
A couple more questions:

I'm thinking about housing one of these in an ABS enclosure. If I'm interpreting what I see correctly, there are only three "test" pins, with pin #1 being duplicated for orientation, and for lead spacing. Is this correct?

Yes I think that is correct on the pins, if you note the number lettering on the PCB, I think that is an accurate depiction of pins. Here is a side view as well, that "thing to the right" is part of the LCD but recessed just enough for possible mounting:

armdnrdy

Thanks for that.

In the other images it looked like that "thing' was sticking up a bit.

So...it looks doable.

duck_arse

hemmel - is this wot you were really looking for? it was what I was thinking of, but not finding.

owners of - are the pads next/right to the ZIF socket for SMD testing?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

karbomusic

Quote from: duck_arse on August 01, 2014, 10:18:07 AM

owners of - are the pads next/right to the ZIF socket for SMD testing?

Possibly, good call since I thought it was for calibration but I think you may be right. Also if you note the translated instructions I posted in my first reply yesterday there may be some additional clues.

armdnrdy

I've read on other versions of this tester that these pads are for testing SMD.

Hemmel

Quote from: duck_arse on August 01, 2014, 10:18:07 AM
hemmel - is this wot you were really looking for? it was what I was thinking of, but not finding.

I was looking for the small LED volt-meter and you provided Rob's link (thanks!).
karbomusic's pics got me interested just today.
Bââââ.

GibsonGM

Holy crow!!  I ordered mine on 7/22 also, and it came today!  I am pretty surprised and pleased by this thing...I've had a bunch of inductors lying around, with no (easy) way to determine their value.....this little bugger came thru.  I tested the accuracy against a known inductor, and it is very close (within a few %, it seems).   Same for resistances and cap values.

The 3 pads to the R of the test jack seem to be for SMD, yes.  You can hold a cap over the 1&3 pad and take a reading, ha ha.

I wonder if this can be used to match FETs?

Well worth $20, IMO.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

karbomusic

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 01, 2014, 07:54:26 PM
Holy crow!!  I ordered mine on 7/22 also, and it came today! 

YAY!

Yes I agree, so far a no-brainer at that price.

GibsonGM

I did some comparisons between this and my more expensive DMM....they agree pretty closely.  Maybe a couple nF discrepancy as was suggested, but resistance matched down to 10ths of ohms.   I like the ESR feature...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Ripdivot

Quote from: karbomusic on August 01, 2014, 09:59:42 AM
Quote from: armdnrdy on August 01, 2014, 09:45:42 AM
A couple more questions:

Yes I think that is correct on the pins, if you note the number lettering on the PCB, I think that is an accurate depiction of pins. Here is a side view as well, that "thing to the right" is part of the LCD but recessed just enough for possible mounting:

Does it test JFETs or only mosfets? I've been reading about them but can't find anything about JFET testing.

armdnrdy

This is what is written in the description of the tester linked on the first page of this thread:

Automatically detect NPN, PNP bipolar transistors , N -channel and P -channel MOS FET, JFET , diodes , two diodes, thyristors small power unidirectional and bidirectional thyristor.

This is the same tester with the green LCD back lit display and the yellow PC board shown in this thread.

Maybe someone who has received this tester already can confirm JFET testing.

karbomusic

Quote from: Ripdivot on August 02, 2014, 10:50:02 AM
Does it test JFETs or only mosfets? I've been reading about them but can't find anything about JFET testing.

GibsonGM

What I'd like to know is if you can match JFETs with that data.  Kind of an area I don't go that far into.....I just use the 2 voltage source + meter trick, but it takes time.

IOW, there is Vgs, but is I  the same as IDss?
  • SUPPORTER

Ripdivot

karbomusic

Just a follow up....

I created a layout and soldered up an overdrive I was working on last night. I can't tell you how nice it was throwing each part in this thing before soldering. I usually like to measure each part before I commit it to the perf board so that I know its a good and correct part and it also just gives me a feel for the circuit as a whole; keeps the debugging down which is the main reason.

It was beautiful to grab a part, hit one button to see the real value, solder.   8)