SAD1024 - List of vintage pedals that use it

Started by MoltenVoltage, July 21, 2010, 11:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: theehman on July 21, 2010, 11:31:21 AM
Quote from: jimbanzini on July 21, 2010, 11:28:05 AM
the ehx polychorus, mxr flanger and mutron flanger also use it. 

i think you'll find that you could have a hard time finding a used pedal w/ that chip for less than the going price of the chip.  i know because i tried; ended up buying the chips themselves.

let me know if you don't have any luck as my seller might have a few left. 

+1.  It's a shame to rob the chip from another pedal.  If it's for a DIY project why not use the MN3007 adapter?

OK!
sorry to nekro bump this thread, but i have been looking forever, and i can't seem to find this here adapter project..
can someone please buy me a clue?
i need to adapt a sad1024 eh  clone theory to an mn3007 instead, and i can find threads that reference it, but no layouts or schematics.
help appreciated!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

Look at the Mutron Flanger Dissected thread.

Digi2t (Dino) made a vero layout:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=103542.100

and I made a etchable board layout.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=103542.120

Let me know if you need any help.
Do you know if the clone theory's SAD1024 uses 512 stages or 1024? I haven't looked at it myself.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

pinkjimiphoton

larry, you rock. ;)
thank you!! i will definitely need help, i'm sure. cuz i suck. ;)

i don't know if they use the full chip or just half. i'm kinda hoping i lose on an auction on one of these so i don't have to deal with it.
tony forestriore hooked me up with a SAD that went in my ross flanger... trying to find another is gonna be next to impossible, but i DO have a mess of mn3007's still... so this is awesome... thanks bro.
i've been going thru threads trying to find info, but a lot of it is way above my pay grade.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

I'm multi tasking....finishing up the Mutron Flanger.......Stephen Giles hit me with surprise board shots of a stereo, dual delay section flanger that I've been wanting to build.

Can you link a schematic to the Clone theory that you're repairing? I don't know if there are different versions of it.....knowing EHX...most likely!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

I took a break and found a couple of schematics for the Clone Theory.
One is more recent and takes a MN3007 and the other is from 1977 which is loaded with a SAD1024.
The SAD schematic shows the BBD used in series for 1024 stages....same as the 3007!
Jimi......you're in luck!

Now,
I'm going to need some shots (clear) of the area (trace and component side) around the SAD.
Once I have those...I can design a daughter board that will work for this particular circuit.

The problem with a "one size fits all" SAD to MN daughter board is.....there are many different ways to go about implementing the BBD IC to a circuit. From manufacturer to manufacturer it varies.

digi2t

Here's the 3007 adapter that we worked up for replacing the 1024 on the Mutron Flanger. Works great.

Perf;

Schematic;

Pics of my perf test board;

And armdnrdy drew up a schematic and PCB layout as well here;

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=103542.msg930246#msg930246
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

StephenGiles

Just when you thought it was safe to go out - the Southwest Technical Products Corp 2AS/A Ambience Synthesiser used 3 x SAD 1024!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

armdnrdy

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 07, 2013, 01:47:13 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to go out - the Southwest Technical Products Corp 2AS/A Ambience Synthesiser used 3 x SAD 1024!

You mean this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FNmtEM3XM

I've heard some of those sounds in Twilight Zone episodes and in Godzilla movies.

StephenGiles

Quote from: armdnrdy on October 07, 2013, 08:25:47 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on October 07, 2013, 01:47:13 PM

You mean this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FNmtEM3XM

I've heard some of those sounds in Twilight Zone episodes and in Godzilla movies.

Yes, that's the beast but I got the impression that it was for increasing the stereo ambience. How dare he put a synthesiser through it - perish the thought!!

I should think with some tinkering and slight re-routing that could be turned into a decent TZF.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

pinkjimiphoton

larry and dino, thanks guys...

i don't know why i'm not getting reply notifications!!

i didn't win that auction, i've got enough crap... lol... til the next "gotta have" arrives.

gotta ship a suzy q to alaska, then start on the rhythm and sound...

but i think i may try and put this together, and see if i can pull the sad1024 from the ross flanger and save it for antiquity. ;)

you guys are the best. ;)
rock on!!!!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

Dino's perf and my etch board are for the Mutron Flanger.

Each circuit would have to be implemented in a slightly different way.

I'll take a look at the Ross Flanger schematic to see what it would take to make a daughter board.

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Harold

For those that are searching for SAD512D chips; they're in the Coron CS-1 Chorus and FG-5D Flanger pedals. The Coron delay has a SAD1024A chip, just like the Jet Flanger and Flter Matrix.
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts

Mark Hammer

The Scamp S24 Time Shape module has four of them (I sold a buddy two in order to resurrect his unit).  But if you can afford one of them, then the price of SAD1024s is the least of your worries.

genobeeno

Just ran across this string; I have one of the SWTP SA2-As that has six of the SAD1024As. If anyone's still interested, I'd be happy to make a deal.

Mark Hammer

That's one of those cases where it's entirely appropriate to cannibalize a piece of vintage gear.  The SWTP unit was..."interesting" for its time, but it didn't really do anything that a Coolaudio V3205 couldn't do now.  Those Reticons can be put to MUCH better use.

Good find!