Wyllie Moonrock

Started by soggybag, August 15, 2014, 04:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

The Moonrock has always been a mystery. Very rare little to no information. The sound clips and the claims of a totally original circuit make it very intriguing. Sadly, from what I understand, G.S. Wyllie has passed away. And, maybe the secret of the Moonrock.

On another forum I have been talking a owner of a Moonrock, who graciously offered to take some pictures. In an effort to finally crack the secret of the Moonrock, and maybe offer a small tribute to Mr. Wyllie, I'm trying the recreate the Moonrock.

Here's what I have so far

Mark Hammer

That has got to be the sturdiest "kinderegg" I've ever seen ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise  We get them in Canada, but they are banned in the USA).

italianguy63

It would be cool of you to share the circuit if you can crack (the egg).  Some kind of Octave-Fuzz thing?

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

~arph

Only one side of the transformer is used and one side of the coil is connected to the left hand pot lug 1. Also, I think there is no connection between point S1 and a switch lug. This would ground the output in bypass.

So far:

39 = 9V
40-46 = 68k
55-56 = 10uF
54-57 = Resistor
58-60 = diode
59 = Q1 B
64 = Q1 C
63 = Q1 E
66-69 = Res to GND
61-96 = 68k
92-95 = 220k
85-91 = 2k2
82-84 = 10uF INPUT
90 = Q2 B (2n3904)
83-87 = Resistor (130k ?)
81-86 = R to GND
86,88,89 = Q2 E
93 = Q2 C
65 - 93 = 10uF

I''m going home

soggybag

Thanks arph. Here's what I have so far.

italianguy63

Very cool what you guys are doing.  Were you able to get the values on the transistors and diodes??
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

~arph

Here this should be most of it (probably full of errors)

Some values

Between 20 and 50 and 47-48 are 27k
37 - 42 is 1M
83-87 is 47k
27-38 looks like 330k
81-86 looks like 8k2
66-69 more likely 3k9

Diodes, no idea germaniums I think 1n34? I think we should look at the foxx tone machine

soggybag

Wow arph, that's great. I'll check in about the missing elements and see if I can figure these out. I'll also start working on a schematic.

soggybag

I updated the drawing some. I feel like Q2 is turned around, and the base should go to 64?

~arph

Quote from: soggybag on August 15, 2014, 07:51:45 PM
I updated the drawing some. I feel like Q2 is turned around, and the base should go to 64

Yes b and c look like they are swapped. Looks like a ecb config transistor then? Perhaps a 2n5306 like the scrambler has on fuzzcentral.

31 seems connected to 38. I have a preliminary schematic.

~arph

Missing values, missing what is between 33 - 36 can't see it.
Didn't find a decent pen either... ;D

If the img doesn't show I'll upload it later from a decent machine..not ipad
Sorry about the sh*tty image guys.

italianguy63

I'd bet those diodes are 1N4148

MC

soggybag

Quote from: ~arph on August 16, 2014, 09:47:01 AM

Missing values, missing what is between 33 - 36 can't see it.
Didn't find a decent pen either... ;D

If the img doesn't show I'll upload it later from a decent machine..not ipad
Sorry about the sh*tty image guys.

Wow, awesome work arph. I have som more part values I'll fill in later. I'm going to try and breadboard it for fun tonight or tomorrow. It definitely looks original. The transformer is labeled 42TM012. I don't have this part. I'll just try some of the transformers I have, I feel. Wyllie would have used whatever he had on hand.

zintolo

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/164267.pdf
Seems like a cheap way to obtain the right values of resistance and inductance for that part of the circuit.

soggybag

This schematic was drawn by V over on the other forum. It was drawn from a unit he owns. This is a very odd circuit not like anything else. I breadboarded this but it's not working. It would great if anyone could supply some expert analysis.

madzub

i think the junction of R4 and R8 and those diodes should be grounded....

madzub

and D7 and D8 should probably be oriented opposite one another

italianguy63

Just a quick glance-- I think the polarity of the input cap (C1) is reversed.

Keep up the good work!  Stay after it!!

MC

~arph

Looks like I was pretty close then..

italianguy63

arph--

You have a 1M on your drawing going to ground above the inductor.  It is not on the schematic.

And, on the schematic, he has the 1M on the other set of diodes (and no ground) as mentioned above.

It is a descrepancy to look at...  MC

Just trying to be an extra set of eyes.  At least you have the component values now!