Replacing Transistor with Tube

Started by deparisn, September 21, 2014, 09:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deparisn

Does anyone know which tube replaces the 2N5088 transistor the best?

Seljer

No tube can replace a NPN transistor directly! They are both amplifiers but they're completely different devices with completely different approaches to biasing. You can get a 12AX7 to perform roughly the same function but you need to rework the entire circuit around it!

FiveseveN

Taking into account what you said in your other topic, I think I understand what you're getting at. But I feel your efforts are misplaced. "Sound characteristic" is a useless, artificial concept. Instead, research how the different types of active devices work and how they can be used in various topologies to do all sorts of wonderful things. And if you wish you can also take a look at how similar behaviour can be attained using different devices and approaches.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Blitz Krieg

Quote from: deparisn on September 21, 2014, 09:24:15 AM
Does anyone know which tube replaces the 2N5088 transistor the best?

quote of the decade or quote of the century? :-\

midwayfair

Quote from: Seljer on September 21, 2014, 09:32:24 AM
No tube can replace a NPN transistor directly! They are both amplifiers but they're completely different devices with completely different approaches to biasing. You can get a 12AX7 to perform roughly the same function but you need to rework the entire circuit around it!

Not only that, but op doesn't even say what function of a 2N5088 he's trying to replicate. Transistors have numerous uses, including amplifiers, switches, diodes, and variable resistors. Asking what tube replaces a 2N5088 is like asking what type of garlic replaces the butter in your scones.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Mustachio

I believe that would be roasted garlic....

Oh man garlic butter scones , Damnit Jon, I'm starving over here!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

wavley

According to RG, this is the only way to do it.

New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: wavley on September 22, 2014, 02:15:37 PM
According to RG, this is the only way to do it....

Looks like some quality ESD carpeting too...  ::)  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

bool

The very best valve to replace the 2N5088 is the ECC5088, period. Low noise, too.

Hatredman

I don't mean to be rude, I'm the new guy in here and you are all old buddies.

But is it really a good idea to fry a rookie just because he asked a stupid question?
I know I did it a lot of stupid questions when I was learning.
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Mustachio

I don't think anyone was frying him. I guess its all a matter of perspective when you read things on the internets.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

J0K3RX

Quote from: Hatredman on September 22, 2014, 08:29:31 PM

But is it really a good idea to fry a rookie just because he asked a stupid question?

Kinda ironic that you are calling yourself "Hatredman" yet you are compassionate and speak out in defense of "the rookie" :icon_wink:

Over the years of visiting this great forum I have noticed that there always seems to be this little, ever changing group of members that enjoy swooping in on the unsuspecting noob and belittle, discourage, and dishearten in an attempt to inflate their own sense of self worth...  I am not saying that anybody did this on this post but it does happen rather frequently. I like helping people whenever and however I can because I was in the "noob seat" at one time and to some degree maybe I still am. I feel that I was treated very well in this forum when I was just starting and I am very grateful for all that I have learned here and the members that took the time to explain things!!

I go by the idea that "the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask" and it seems to work, for me anyway...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

deadastronaut

^ +1..

no matter how nooby you think it is, ask anyway...weve all asked dumb stuff..and 'usually' get a 'kind' response.... welcome btw. ;).
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

anchovie

Quote from: Hatredman on September 22, 2014, 08:29:31 PM

They've declared themself to be an Electrical Engineering major working on their senior project, in another thread. I can understand why some folks here would express surprise that someone way beyond the paint-by-numbers kit-building stage would ask such a question.

For what it's worth, the OP hasn't logged back in since asking so the D'OH! moment may well have hit a few seconds after clicking "Post".  ;)

Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Thecomedian

I'm thinking the OP understands the requirement of changing all the resistors and caps in the "stage" where the 2n5088 is, in order to replace it with a tube in the same "stage", as part of a larger, more complex circuit. An analogue to this same procedure would be plugging either a tube based stompbox or a transistor based stompbox into an amplifier. They're electrically connected the same way replacing a transistor stage in a multi-stage circuit is electrically connected. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work to replace a transistor with a tube in this sense (provided you had the necessary voltage difference required for anode, the volt/amp required for the heater, etc), but midwayfair is right the OP is way too open ended with the question.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

J0K3RX

Ya ever consider that perhaps "some people" may intentionally design their questions in such a way as to keep a bunch of people busy, and then sit back, drink a cool one and have a good old laugh.  all at your expense, of course...  :icon_lol:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

FiveseveN

Yeah, we have a word for those people. :icon_mrgreen: It's homonymous with a class of mythical hairy humanoid that live under bridges.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

bool

That's a good one, JOK3RX, a good one ...

wavley

I don't think anybody was piling on the noob in this thread, which is actually acknowledged...

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 22, 2014, 09:55:17 PM
..  I am not saying that anybody did this on this post but it does happen rather frequently.

So let's save the shaming of the noob shamers for when someone is actually shaming a noob, which does on occasion happen around here.

I do believe that it's the culture of this forum to make jokes when a question is so open ended that there actually is no answer.  There's a big difference between making a joke or silly analogy in an attempt to get enough information to actually answer the question and "WTF are you talking about you stupid noob?", which I don't perceive is what happened here.  Some folks just made some jokes trying to get more information, I for one just quoted one of our gurus with one of the oldest stompbox related gags so this thread would show up in my feed when there was a narrowed response for what the application is I could actually help out if I could.  Turns out, all the responses so far have just been about not shaming a noob who's not actually being shamed because some other folks in other threads have been shamed before.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com