Are radio shack transformers decent quality?

Started by disorder, September 30, 2014, 01:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

disorder

I have an old EH Hot Tubes (the CMOS version, not vacuum tube version) that needs a new power transformer. The closest fit I can find is, believe it or not, at radio shack. It's just a basic 24V center tapped 500mA power transformer but I was wondering if anyone had experience with one before I head over there after work tomorrow. Should be fine yeah? I've never had a problem with their toggle switches and LEDs, but a lot of their jacks and plugs are shitty.

GibsonGM

I've used 'em, never had a problem. I'd say they're about the same as any Chinese-made thing you'd buy from a real electronics supplier. Not top of the line, but they get the job done!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mark Hammer

It doesn't really need a transformer, actually.  I've operated mine on a 9v battery for a long time.  The battery life is not extensive, mind you, but it is certainly not like trying to run a digital pedal off a 9v battery for more than an hour.  I gather EHX built them with transformers for the extra bit of security.  Keep in mind that in the late 70's, we did not have power bricks and pedalboards.  We had a couple of pedals on the floor, so if a pedal was going to need a bit more current, it was going to need a power cord.

If you simply feed the V+ lines in the pedal with a decently-regulated 9V, you'll be fine.  For any resale purposes, I'd imagine any prospective buyers would be happier with a power jack they could plug their supply into than an AC cord dangling off a pedal.

lapsteelman

I made a bi-polar power supply many years ago from one. I've used it with a bunch of different projects over the years have never had a problem with it.

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

PRR

I had RS power transformers live for decades. And have not seen significant change in build quality from 1970s to 2000s.

You could do far worse.
  • SUPPORTER

disorder

After the assuring advice from all of you, I got to Radio Shack to discover the 24VCT transformer they carry is much too large to fit in the EH Hot Tubes enclosure.  >:(

Does anyone have a lead on a nice small 120V---24VCT transformer in the 1VA range? It seems like Mouser/Digi are not stocking a lot of the small power transformers they used to.

Thecomedian

If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.