Decal Copyright Issue

Started by bloxstompboxes, September 29, 2014, 12:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

Hello All,

My question is about the use of a specific decal. This one to be exact:

The question is does anyone think I will have a problem using it on a pedal that will be sold on ebay? I know we all build for ourselves and some for sale on the bay and the like. So it's not a question about whether it is ethical to sell a clone of a pedal that was once commercially made but about the use of this decal with the logo of the company on it. I have already modified it to include my name above the word overdrive and that it is a clone. So does anyone think that it will still be an issue? I don't want my ebay account to be suspended or whatever for something like this. Has anyone here done this before? I don't have to use the decal but I have already made a sheet of them and applied one to a pedal that I plan to put on there soon, and would like it to look as much like the original for nostalgia's sake.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

slacker

Here's a thread with more info about this than you could ever need  ;D http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=31253.0 be warned it descends into farce after about three pages.

In reality it's pretty unlikely that Ibanez employ people to trawl ebay looking for trademark infringing pedals, so as far as getting any trouble you're probably safe. You're more likely to get grief if someone buys one and then moans at ebay that you sold them a fake Ibanez, even if you've made it clear it's a clone, remember that ebay tends to side with buyers in disputes.

Guitarboy2828

Why not just put your name over the "ibanez" part so that it doesn't have to be in question? Or change the name to "Ibanooz clone" or something? If you need help doing that, I'm more than happy to quickly do that for you. PM me if you'd like me to.

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on September 29, 2014, 12:49:42 PM
I have already modified it to include my name above the word overdrive and that it is a clone.

I just didn't post the picture of the modified version.

Wow. That other thread was quite interesting, funny in a sad way, and raised some good points. Since I don't want stir up another such thread, I think I'll just sell the one that was already made and then design a different decal for the rest. Besides, I am not looking to make a ton of money off anyone or something. I just want to sell enough to make the hobby self sufficient. I have already cloned and modified other pedal designs and sold them to friends but I always give credit to where it originally came from and did not pass them off as my own creation.

Thanks for the information/repsonse!

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

bloxstompboxes