Booster 2.5 or how to save you two J201's...

Started by Thomas P., October 10, 2003, 01:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas P.

As I woke up this morning I thought of building a Booster 2.5 because I like the sound of fets a lot. After takeing a closer look at the schematic I saw that it would take 4(!) J201's. Since they (J201's) are kind of rare I ever think of how to save them, so I had this idea: I took the Mos Boost as input stage and put it in front of the drive pot of the Booster 2.5...

After the first listening session I was completely blown away since it is a really high gain unit - not to mention the great sound. With the drive pot of the Mos Boost you can set the overall gain of the unit so it can give you really low crunch to fuzz-like distortion :D  ANd also with the gain pot a min. this beast can get so loud - you wouldn't believe :wink:

Both the Mos Boost and  the fet-stage are really great designs - great job Mr. Orman!!!

Regards,
tomboy
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

amz-fx

Excellent! I am glad you've enjoyed the projects.

regards, Jack

Jered

"Since they (J201's) are kind of rare I ever think of how to save them"

I think J201's are available almost every where except Fry's and the shack.    Jered

Thomas P.

Maybe that's right if I would live in the 'big one', but here in europe  I know only one supplier who has them - and I don't know for how long :?
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j

amz-fx

Here's an alternate way to stretch your supply of J201s....

Use the J201 for the bottom position and put a BF245 as the top jfet. It will make very little difference in the sound and the BF245 should be easily found in EU.

regards, Jack

Thomas P.

Jep, BF245's are much more common here.
Would the difference be bigger if I use BF245's only? I mean would the sound qualitiy decrease much?
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j

amz-fx

Sound quality is good though I believe they would provide less gain.

-Jack