Author Topic: Light led when jack is connected to 9v socket  (Read 5271 times)

septi0

Light led when jack is connected to 9v socket
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
I don't know if this was discussed already but I couldn't find answer.So my problem is simple.I have a 9v adapter that i'm planning to use with multiple guitar pedals.I built a box that gives me 5 9v outputs but I want to light a led when I connect a jack to a specific output.

So basically so far I have 1 (9v) input that has a filtering circuit and from there divides to 5  (9v) outputs.

My output sockets look like this -> http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/496144704/New-Female-DC-Power-Jack-supply-socket-5-5X2-1mm-100pcs.jpg

I have to mention that my output sockets are center NEGATIVE.

Is there any way to make some status leds that light up when a specific socket is in use?

Hatredman

Re: Light led when jack is connected to 9v socket
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
My output sockets look like this

The key here is not how they look like, but how the three leads are conected internally.
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

septi0

Re: Light led when jack is connected to 9v socket
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:30:50 AM »
Well, with that picture I was pointing out the fact that my sockets have 3 pins.As I mentioned in the initial post I wired them center negative and when there's no jack connected, that other 2 pins are positive.

slacker

Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 03:33:22 AM »
Find out which pin is connected to the outside of the jack when one is connected,  inserting a jack will disconnect one of them. Connect that pin to your 9 volts and also connect the positive end of an LED to that pin. Connect the other end of the LED to the pin that gets disconnected and also put a resister from there to the centre pin.
When no jack is inserted the two non centre pins are shorted together, so both connected to 9 volts so no current flows through the LED so it will be off. When you insert a jack the connection shorting the LED is broken and it will light up.