Starting with the digital world

Started by juanmotta, November 18, 2014, 04:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juanmotta

Hi my name is Juan Motta from Uruguay and i want to start learning digital electronics, my first interest is to make a parametric equalizer and a low pass filter with regulable q to use in my guitar instead of passive filters, so i want to know if someone can help my which type of Dsp language and hardware  i need  for developing this?

Thanks a lot

Juan

Digital Larry

Hi Juan,

The SpinCAD Designer program can create these DSP algorithms for the Spin FV-1 chip.  There are some limitations, but it might be good place to start.  Follow the link in my signature line to learn more.

DL
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Eddododo

Ive been afraid to start an identical thread forever now

juanmotta

Quote from: Digital Larry on November 20, 2014, 09:02:45 AM
Hi Juan,

The SpinCAD Designer program can create these DSP algorithms for the Spin FV-1 chip.  There are some limitations, but it might be good place to start.  Follow the link in my signature line to learn more.

DL

Thanks Larry for your answer, before i get into the digital world, do think is possible to build a 7 order low pass filter with this?

Juan

Digital Larry

Hi Juan,

SpinCAD Designer does include blocks for 1, two, and 4-pole filters, so yes you could cascade all of those and have a 7th order filter.  Now the next question is WHAT TYPE of 7th order filter do you want?  If you want a standard Butterworth, Tshebyshev, or Elliptical, then no, the program is not set up to design those types of filters.  As the intended use is musical, there are simple 1st order filters for tone-cut types of applications, and the 2nd and 4th order filters allow resonance to be added for "wah" sounds.

Earlier you said you wanted to make a graphic equalizer.  There is a 6-band graphical EQ block in the program, however as currently implemented, it is fixed.

Finally, consider that the FV-1 only has 3 control inputs, so even if someone designed a graphical EQ which allowed control adjustment, you'd have to live with that limitation.

SpinCAD Designer can simulate the filter blocks on your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.  You might wish to try it out and see whether it does what you want.  No risk except possibly wasting your time.

Thanks,

DL
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

juanmotta

Quote from: Digital Larry on November 21, 2014, 10:02:29 AM
Hi Juan,

SpinCAD Designer does include blocks for 1, two, and 4-pole filters, so yes you could cascade all of those and have a 7th order filter.  Now the next question is WHAT TYPE of 7th order filter do you want?  If you want a standard Butterworth, Tshebyshev, or Elliptical, then no, the program is not set up to design those types of filters.  As the intended use is musical, there are simple 1st order filters for tone-cut types of applications, and the 2nd and 4th order filters allow resonance to be added for "wah" sounds.

Earlier you said you wanted to make a graphic equalizer.  There is a 6-band graphical EQ block in the program, however as currently implemented, it is fixed.

Finally, consider that the FV-1 only has 3 control inputs, so even if someone designed a graphical EQ which allowed control adjustment, you'd have to live with that limitation.

SpinCAD Designer can simulate the filter blocks on your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.  You might wish to try it out and see whether it does what you want.  No risk except possibly wasting your time.

Thanks,

DL

Ja ja that´s what i want to hear!!! i want to experiment with low pass filters, now i using my guitar direct to the line 6 pod gx (no cap or tone control in the guitar only 1m vol) and i´m using  a vst plugin as low pass filter and for boosting the lows and cutting some mids, so i want to replicate this. I think i need some q control in the low pass filters and for the bell control. this is possible?

This is the type of filet and  eq i use:

http://

Juan