Dual Inductor Wiring Help Please

Started by 01downer, December 09, 2014, 04:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01downer

Hi everyone

I've got a wah project im about to start working on and am hoping someone wouldn't mind helping me out a bit with one of the mods im wanting to do

Im planning on adding dual inductors switchable via a toggle but would also like to have the option of using them both in series as well. Will anyone here please help me out with a wiring diagram of how to accomplish this?

The switches i have on hand are
Dpdt on/on
Spdt on/off/on
Spdt on/on

I've done dual inductor mods before just simply switching between the 2 but not quite sure on how to wire them to both work at the same time

Thanks in advance very much to anyone willing to help me out!

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

01downer

Thank you for the link!

Looks like I'll need to get a 3p toggle
I completely forgot to mention its a gcb95 I'll be doing circuit surgery on, my apologies.
Is there a similar diagram available anywhere for the gcb95s?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: 01downer on December 10, 2014, 12:01:17 AM
Is there a similar diagram available anywhere for the gcb95s?

I do believe that JD's PCB is made to be a drop in replacement for the Cry Baby (GCB95) wah shell. Although, I do not think it has the header connector for the Molex-type wiring harness so you might have to cut that off and solder the wires individually. Still... a really good alternative at a great price!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

slacker

You can do your inductor switching with your SPDT on/off/on switch. Connect the inductors in series, connect the outer lugs of the switch to the outer lugs of the inductors, connect the middle lug to where the inductors are joined together. So you end up with the switch wired in parallel with the inductors.  Off on the switch gives both inductors in series, the On positions short out one inductor giving you the other one on its own.

upspoon12

have always wanted to further mod my crying baby to sound better, be more dynamic with the filter and just sound better. This looks like an interesting PCB plus with two inductors. obviously you get two different sounding inductors plus can have them in series, this would make the wah more pronounced when in series?

01downer

Thanks for the info govmnt and slacker. I really appreciate it!

Upspoon, I've never tried it either due to not knowing how to wire it but from what I've read people say it makes the wah much fatter sounding. I'll be trying it with a red fasel and tone tank inductors. Hopefully i can get slackers wiring instructions right and i will report back with how it sounds if you're interested in trying it as well

upspoon12

downer,

That would be awesome if you would. My wah has always been in my eyes my weakest pedal, and if a nice new board with two inductors is the answer then i'm on board. And ive always been a versatility man, being able to switch from one to a different one to both at the same time, really your getting 3 different wah's for the money and that wins in my eyes everytime as long at is sounds good!

definitely looking forward to hearing how it sounds!

Cheers.

01downer

Upspoon,

I wired it up last night via slackers wiring instructions (thanks again slacker!) and it sounds very cool! With them both in series it has a bit more volume and as others have stated its much fatter sounding and has a bit more "oomph" to it. Its definitely a mod worth trying and didn't take very long to wire up
Im using a fed fasel and a tone tank inductor. Its a nice combination

neilslade

Quote from: slacker on December 10, 2014, 08:12:10 AM
You can do your inductor switching with your SPDT on/off/on switch. Connect the inductors in series, connect the outer lugs of the switch to the outer lugs of the inductors, connect the middle lug to where the inductors are joined together. So you end up with the switch wired in parallel with the inductors.  Off on the switch gives both inductors in series, the On positions short out one inductor giving you the other one on its own.

BUT WHAT LEADS GO TO THE CIRCUIT BOARD??  This is a closed circuit above- thanks

iainpunk

Quote from: neilslade on May 06, 2020, 12:28:13 PM
Quote from: slacker on December 10, 2014, 08:12:10 AM

BUT WHAT LEADS GO TO THE CIRCUIT BOARD??  This is a closed circuit above- thanks

obviously the wires go to the outer lugs of the switch

i know this circuit as the bass mod, because the two in series give a lower freq range and the higher ESR gives a lower peak.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

neilslade

Thanks very much for the diagram-  I racked my brain and couldn't figure it out.  HOWEVER, in the meantime I did do it this way as shown (no series):

I first hooked up my old 70's square TDK inductor and the Red Fasel (Dunlop reissue)-  absolutely no difference in sound. Zilch difference.
Then I hooked up a Yellow Fasel (Dunlop) and the Red Fasel.  Almost no difference between these two-  if anything, quite contrary to the Dunlop description, the yellow has more clarity and hi-fi, where the red sounds more "vintage"-  something which another wah user also noted. (Yes, I'm looking at my switch wiring so I know which is which).

Incidentally, I have a new Xotic Wah, and it sounds pretty much the same as my tweaked (added Q, middle, bass, and volume internal pots) Thomas Organ Wah- Which is fine.  I've tried other wahs, including a new Fulltone Clyde McCoy, which many rave about, but I felt lacked the character and quack of the Thomas. The Thomas sounds like Zappa, and I just couldn't get the Fulltone to do that.

At this point, given all of the feedback I've read about the difference between inductors, and different claims, and what I've observed with my two wahs, and the four inductors among them, (the Xotic claiming a clone of the original Halos) I'm beginning to think it's mostly mind over matter, or very little difference at all.  I've got good ears to boot...!

neilslade

Having played EXTENSIVELY with my dual inductor switch--- switching between the Dunlop RED and YELLOW inductors-  I have concluded that there is absolutely no difference in sound between these two as well.  This is all a mind game and a marketing ploy.

Here's what I did-   I compared the sound of the pedal in EVERY position, from heel down to toe down, and everywhere inbetween-  switching from one inductor to the other and listening for any differences in tone quality.

ZILCH. No difference whatsoever.  I listened VERY carefully, and did this many times. No difference. I also swept through, no difference between the two.

I only first IMAGINED a difference.  After further testing, I was wrong.

You decide if you think it's worth the time and effort, and cost.

Having done it myself-  I safely conclude-  a total waste of time.  Not only did neither inductor sound any different from each other, but neither sounded any different from the original TDK square inductor as well.

The pedal sounded great to begin with.  After spending a couple of hours and about $50 on inductors and a switch-   sounds exactly the same.

My advice? Replace only if you inductor has failed-  which itself, is a remote possibility.

neilslade

I just removed both Dunlop inductors and all the extra wiring, and put back the original TDK. Sound as good as ever.