Little Angel problem

Started by Elijah-Baley, December 30, 2014, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotherjim

The input of that has 10M input impedance. I don't know why this is so high -  it will make the input very sensitive to noise pickup. I would change the 10M on the input to IC3 pin 3 to 1M. It won't case harm to solder a 1M across the existing 10M. But the 1n input cap will have to be increased to at least 4n7.

Elijah-Baley

I noticed that 10M resistor, I checked twice and looked the schematics, but it is really 10M.
Well, I could put some socket and try some values.
Do you mean about generic noise or ticking? Or both?

Thanks for repling. :)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Cozybuilder

I wonder if the lack of the 10K resistor from IC2 pin 9 to Depth lug 2 is part of the problem? This is one of the differences between your layout and my schematic.

If you want to install that resistor, here is one way:

1) Move Depth Lug 2 from T9 to T1
2) jumper T5 to T9
3) 10K resistor R1 to R5
4) Trace cuts at P5 and Q1
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

Elijah-Baley

Thanks for this mod, too.
Early I didn't what I had to do, now I have too much. :P
For the moment I let the 10M resistor and 1nF cap, because someone used that schematic with no ticking without change those part. I can see it later.

I want to try to cancel the ticking.
Maybe I could start with the first mod, separating the grounds. Then see the rest.

I want to say I'm testing the board with battery and out of the box. The box could help me to cancel the ticking?
I don't know however somebody gets this layout perfect and somebody gets the ticking. I can't explain this.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

Cozybuilder

Your description of the ticking level increasing with touching the rate pot leads one to believe the problem is in the LFO section. 3 mods have now been suggested to help with this. I hope they work.

Elijah-Baley

I draw it again with the 10k on the Depth pot.

Eventually, can I solder the 10k directly between the lug 2 of the pot and its wire and leave this part as the orignal layout? At least for try it quickly.

PS I notice the layout of sabrotone of the Zombie Chorus have this 10k. ???

Cozybuilder

Elijah-Baley

10k on Depth pot mod: done.
No effect on the ticking. It's hard to hear if there's some differents in the sound. For the moment I let it.

Separating gound mod: done.
No effect on the ticking. Neither with the filter (47uF and 100nF) on the pin 8 of my IC 4. :-[ I really trusted in this mod.

Maybe the LFO noise, I mean the movement of the sound, is loude nowr, but maybe I didn't notice early.

Anyway, the ticking is not louder, but rather subtle, and I can't hear if normal settings. I hear a subtle ticking just with both the pots over 7-8.

If I put it into the box the ticking could stop or get low? Or it is wish too much?

Elijah-Baley

I was planning to use a water clear blue led 5mm. Indeed, I just replaced the 2.2k with a 8.2k.
Meanwhile, I take off the led soldered for testing (I'll resolder it while the wiring). It seems noiser without the led, now. ??? I hear well the modulation wowowowo, depending of the mode switch, (no vibe switch).

Anyway, I was thinking to restore the original layout. ::)

duck_arse

did you do the isolated V+ to pin8?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Elijah-Baley

I did the mods in the new layout.
What do you mean with "isolated V+ to pin 8"? Separated from the LED?

duck_arse

the wire link to pin 8 at K-16 - if you snip that (it will isolate the lfo from the rest of the board), and tack a red wire onto the lower part of that link-wire, and run that to T-4 or the supply jack, you will have a clean 9V to the lfo, and the lfo currents won't appear in the rest of the 9V lines. if this helps, you could then insert an R//C filter in-line, as well.

the same applies (cut/isolate/link clean) at J-16 for the 0V line.

[edit :] not the J link.

Elijah-Baley

Forgive me, my friend, maybe I don't follow your plan.
The wire link, maybe you mean from K18 (next to pin 8) to K12 (not K16), right?
I have to cut it, ok, and I have to connect pin 8 to... 9v, I assume. I don't know were exactly you say. Next to the CLR, I'll say not, because it should be cut out, now, Indeed,I guess it is useless.
I can connect a wire to the R4, the strip of the 9v or directly on the 9v D jack.

But like that is really much different?

Adding:
Now, I'm focusing on Mark Hammer deticking.
I know the tagboard's layout has that mod, but it doesn't work well in my case, (nor in someone else case).
Maybe my analisys is useless, but...

This is where Mark reference: http://www.geofex.com/PCB_layouts/Layouts/zombie.pdf.
And here is the mod. http://hammer.ampage.org/files/DETICK~1.jpg.
It show what add and where CUT.

We need to add a pair of resistor: 10k. My layout has them, if I see right. A 10k, and a 12k (instead a 10k).
We need a cut, too. But I can get it. As I said, the image of Mark Hammer show where cut, if I see right, even this time, there's a cut after the pin 5 of U3 (my IC3) and a resistor a 4.7k.
My layout has not this interruption, but this cut seems to me really weird.
Could it be important? Or I have to let it go?

Some other schematics without and with anti-tick.
http://www.pisotones.com/Zombie/MBC/Z2/ZChorus2Esquema.jpg
http://www.pisotones.com/Zombie/MBC/Z2/RevB/ZChorus2bEsquema.jpg

duck_arse

the link I mean starts at K12 and goes to K18. I was thinking if you cut it AT K16, you would have a tail still connecting pin8, and you could use that to solder a new wire to. but, it would be just as easy (!) to cut a section out of that K link at K16 and K17, and then run the wire from M18 to the DC socket.

ignore my comment last post on the J link, I'm misreading the vero.

Elijah-Baley

Ok.
So, I have tu cut the jumper between the pin 8 ot those two IC. A wire from M18 neew to connect directly to the 9v. We're saying it early.
I don't wanna messy it.

Elijah-Baley

Done. And no changing, again. I'm wondering if this circuit reached the deticking limit, I mean if the ticking can't be take off more than how it is now.

Update:
Power the circuit with the power supply and the ticking is laouder now! :o

Sorry, Update 2:
I'm powering again the circuit with the battery, but now I discover a thing. The volume of the ticking change moving the wire or the pots. I'm connecting the battery, the grounds and the other wires with the clips. Flying mode. Maybe the dc jack pick up more external noises?

I'm wondering if I reached the max deticking, and I can't stop to wonder if grounding the box and put all inside I can cancel completely or almost the deticking.
I need an opinion about this. Had Somebody here built a deticked Zombie?

Elijah-Baley

I had drilled a box for another pedal, and I tried to put the zombie circuit into it, to solder the input and output jack and grounding this box. In this way I get a bit of ticking at max or very high settings. As I got early. Just I didn't have close the box avoiding contacts of solder parts, discover wires, etc....
Probably, I can't do anything for it, and I'll drill a box for the Zombie and keep it as it is, with just a bit of ticking at higher settings, (that I think I'll never use).

Elijah-Baley

I finished the Zombie Chorus. Into the box (125B) the ticking is still there, but as early, just in extreme settings, I have to keep the volume of the amp pretty high and I don't have play. In my case I never can hear tha ticking.
I heard the Sabrotone version should be better than tagboard version about the ticking problem. :P Next time.

Elijah-Baley

My Chorus pedal:
:D

Waiting for the Zombie graphic, of course.

I decided to renounce to the Little Angel. I liked it, but the Zombie is a very nice and real chorus effect. Thanks a lot to everybody!! :icon_smile: