Stealing a power supply from a TC rack unit

Started by Opher, December 31, 2014, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opher

So I have this TC electronics intonator that I got for nothing.  Its got some technical problems associated with it, that I believe are unrelated to its power supply.  The PS has +/- 15v connections, +/- 5v connections, and a digital ground connection. Thinking about using it to power some effects. The digital ground probably wouldn't get used. Anybody see any issues with this. I imagine the engineering of this is better than I'd pull off on my own, so I'm thinking its a perfect fit.  What say the experts?

Mark Hammer

That seems like a preety powerful and useful unit.  My own inclination would be to see if it could be made to work properly again, rather than just cannibalize it.

But here is the more relevant question: what do you want to power with it?

Keep in mind that transforrmers and power-supplies are often designed to provide more than enough current, such that the unit does not run up against insufficient-current issues.  But also keep in mind that the PS for that unit  is designed to provide enough current for that unit. 

I have no idea what it requires.  So, while the voltages are suitable for running other FX, whether as is, or with additional regulation to bring them down to +/-9v, at the moment you have not indicated what the current draw is of what you hope to use it for, or what the current-delivery capability of the PS is.

Need to make sure there is some compatibility first, before destroying such a nice piece of gear.