Would one these be good O-scopes for pedal stuff.

Started by BillyJ, October 11, 2003, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyJ

There is a local shop that has two Oscopes and though I know nothing about them I relaly want to get one and learn.
One is a heathkit Om-3 here are the specs I could find:5 Inch Scope. 5BP1 CRT. Vert. amp response: Plus or minus 3db from 4 Hz to 1.2 mHz.
       Vert. sensitivity: 0.09-v RMS/inch @ 1 kHz.
       Sweep: 20 Hz to more than 150 kHz. Push-pull V & H amps. External/Internal sweep or
       sync; 1-v p-p reference, calibrated grid screen, step-attenuated and frequency
       compensated vert. input.  
       22 lbs.  
       Price in 1958:  $39.95.
Price for me today $40.00..

The other one is  techtronics 454 rackmountable I think. Small screen like 3 or 4 inchs with a tone of knobs. Looks complicated but also very star wars...cool.
It is $150.00 dollars though....
Anyway I was curious if the heathkit would do me any good. I am not going to be doing anything real complex anytime soon and hope this could help me gte oinot that end of things...
Also was curcious if the Tech was a really super good deal perhaps...
Thanks for any clues. SOrry I didn't have any specs on the Tech...
Mostly I am hoping I can use that heathkit cause I can get it today :O)

Thanks alot!!

ExpAnonColin

My big problem with oscilloscopes is that you'd only really need a 20khz one-that's all you can hear, right?

But the lowest they seem to make is 1mghz.

-Colin

Paul Marossy

I would take the Tektronix scope over the other one. The 454 isn't a bad scope, it will do more than the HeathKit one will. $150 sounds a little high, but if it has just been reconditioned and recalibrated, it might not be a bad deal.
I have a Tektronix 453. It's a pretty good scope for its age and is more than adequate for audio stuff. Here is what one looks like:
http://home.att.net/~u2p0j0m4/Tektronix453.htm

You can buy a working one off of ebay for $50-75. But be careful, there a lot of non-operating ones on ebay, the CRT or the HV transformers are usually dead, rendering them useless. Don't even consider it unless the seller states that is fully functional, etc. Anyhow, they will measure up to 20mHz, plenty good for general audio stuff. But, it will not measure things in the UHF range... it is possible to get ultra high frequency oscillations in a circuit sometimes. A 20mHz scope just isn't going to see it.  :(
But still, not a bad deal.

BillyJ

Hmmm...so can I ask if the heathkit would do me any good?
I really don't have $150.00 for the tech and won't for a long spell and it looks like I might get abetter deal. I like the idea of getting it local and from these guy cause I go there all the time and the will gaurantee it and stuff.
I just want something to get me started not really the be all end all.
ANyway if you think it can do some good in messing aorund LMK.
I am itchy to get it but if it is a simple waste of course I'll pass.

Thanks for the thoughts folks :O)

Paul Marossy

Sure, the HeathKit would probably work, but is quite a bit older than the Tek 454 is. Finding replacement parts would be exremely difficult if not impossible. There are several places that sell Tektronix replacement parts, sometimes NOS still in the box.
But, if that doesn't bother you, then go for it. Scopes are fun things to play with and are very useful tools to have.

BillyJ

I should have the heathkit tonight if not, tomorow AM.
I can't go wrong with these guys. They have a huge wharehouse of cool stuff. I know one day I will be back there and find the germanium transistor goldmine ;O)
They treat me great... are even delivering it to my door no charge. :O)
Now where was that great Oscope link that is buried in the archives...drat!

Paul Marossy

Cool. Wish you the best of luck. Have fun!  :)

ExpAnonColin

Eh, I'll just build my own.   :D  :wink:

-Colin

Scott Swartz

The Heath will be fine, my main scope is a Tek 561A and the vert plugin I use normally is about 1 MHz bandwidth.

For audio its more important to have good sensitivity (1 mv per division or better) than huge bandwidth.

Scott Swartz

The Heath will be fine, my main scope is a Tek 561A and the vert plugin I use normally is about 1 MHz bandwidth.

For audio its more important to have good sensitivity (1 mv per division or better) than huge bandwidth.

BillyJ

Cripes did I just pay $40 when there are ones on ebay for 12.95. Ooops.
Oh well. This thing sure is a hoot. I downloaded the XYZ's of scopes from tektronix. Cool info in there. I need to get an older kind of manual too so I can translate.
I wonder if the synch on this is the trigger on new ones?...
Well money well spent I haven't had this much fun in a while. I hope I don't hurt it  :shock:

Paul Marossy

Yeah, I downloaded that XYZ's thing from the Tektronix website, too. Good information in there.