Signal gets louder?

Started by karbomusic, January 26, 2015, 05:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbomusic

I have a report from the field of my TS type overdrive circuit where when it's output is plugged into a delay (brand not known) and/or a supratrem, then he engages one of those pedals (and the overdrive is already engaged) the signal gets louder but this doesn't occur when the OD isn't on. Keep in mind I am told that engaging one of the two downstream pedals triggers the increase.

I've seen the signal decrease in past designs due to op amp oscillation from capacitive loading but not a signal increase. I have the same OD on my on pedal board with a near identical setup (delay/trem post OD) and have never seen anything like this in the 6 months I've been testing at gigs etc.

Thoughts?

slacker

What's it plugged into after the delay? In other words what changes when the delay is turned on?

karbomusic

I don't know just yet but I suspect it is OD > Trem > Delay > Amp

anotherjim

Because gains multiply? The following pedal has some gain, maybe not much more than unity, but more nonetheless, but that small gain multiplies the gain of the preceding pedals.
Say Delay gain is 2.
Say OD gain is 1 (bypassed) or 20 (engaged).
2*1 is 2
2*20 is 40!

karbomusic

Quote from: anotherjim on January 27, 2015, 10:47:12 AM
Because gains multiply? The following pedal has some gain, maybe not much more than unity, but more nonetheless, but that small gain multiplies the gain of the preceding pedals.
Say Delay gain is 2.
Say OD gain is 1 (bypassed) or 20 (engaged).
2*1 is 2
2*20 is 40!

Probably... I think the complaint is misguided/misunderstood since they say it happens with the tremolo or the delay. I was just asking up front in case there was something more mysterious but my gut feeling is that it isn't really happening or something as simple as the above.

ashcat_lt

But 2 * anything is a 6db increase, and sounds like about the same amount of change.  To put it a slightly different way, the gain of the second pedal works on whatever voltage comes out of the first no matter how much gain the first had to apply to get there.

Are both the trem and delay true bypass?  If he turns on one and it gets louder, what happens when he then turn on the other?  What's the input impedance of the amp?

karbomusic

Quote from: ashcat_lt on January 27, 2015, 01:21:29 PM
But 2 * anything is a 6db increase, and sounds like about the same amount of change.  To put it a slightly different way, the gain of the second pedal works on whatever voltage comes out of the first no matter how much gain the first had to apply to get there.

Are both the trem and delay true bypass?  If he turns on one and it gets louder, what happens when he then turn on the other?  What's the input impedance of the amp?

I'm working off a third person explanation and awaiting more details. All I know right now is..

1. When either the delay or tremolo is engaged and the OD is already on, it increases in volume.
2. Delay and tremolo are post OD in the chain.
3. Tremolo is a SupraTrem
4. I have a similar set up of my own and I've never seen any such behavior nor has any other end-user using the same OD.

They are supposed to be sending me a recorded demo of the behavior so I can confirm if it is real since neither I nor the guy I build them for are sure if it is a legit problem just yet. I'm just sort of pre-asking in the event it was something common but I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head.