Pushing some pedals with 18v

Started by JebemMajke, February 10, 2015, 05:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JebemMajke

For some time now i am running some pedals, designed for 9v ( ts type ods, ibanez wh 10 wah, and so on ) with 18v.

Next in line is a clone of mad professor's stone gray. 4049 inside with tl061 ( in my case, in the original it is tl051 ).

After reading this datasheet, http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/HEF4049B.pdf it seams that 4049 doesn't mind 18v. But again, maybe i am wrong. Any advice?

mth5044

Are you using a HEF4049x or CD4049x? Never seen an HEF, but here is the TI datasheet:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4050b.pdf

TI says 20V max, HEF says 15V.

JebemMajke

mth5044

Looks like that one is 22V max. Usually you can trust a datasheet.

plexi12000

hey -- so do you like 18v's?  what pedals are you using it with? 

PRR

If run Digital at low to medium speed, CMOS power consumption is very low.

If run LINEAR, held near half-supply, CMOS power demand is HIGH.

This sheet does not show the current curve. However it is specced Typical 12mA for Vdd=15V, Vo=13.5V. If it is just 12ma for Vo=7.5V then this is 15V*0.012A= 0.18 Watts per inverter. Six inverters is over 1 Watt. Limits are 0.1W per unverter and 0.2W per chip.

If the current is already 12mA for a mere 15V-13.5V= 1.5V drop, it is likely to be much higher for a 7.5V (mid-rail) level.

You also have 18V instead of 15V.

You have a good chance of frying the chip.

However the chip is super-cheap. Socket it and fry away.

What are you hoping to gain by super-sizing the supply? Your next stage can only take so-much before it clips all-to-heck. And distortion will go down as supply goes up. Many people prefer CMOS distorters with hefty dropping resistors to hold them down near 3V-5V across the rails, with maybe a clean boost at the end if you really need to blow-up the next stage's input.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

me> ... the chip is super-cheap.

25.08 Din, whatever that comes to. (about 2-bits american, 0.23 USD-- a Dinar is about a US cent these days.)

However it is NOT clear that Mikro Princ is selling HEF4049B. While they link to an HEF data-sheet, the only promise is "4049" and that it comes from ST. ST may make other "4049" types, including low-volt types.

If you have handled these and know they are HEF, then never mind me.
  • SUPPORTER

JebemMajke

My guitar is down tuned to G, with heavy strings and active pickup. It easily distorts. I am looking for more clarity in the sound, but with heavy distortion as well.

Stone gray already has a really good clarity, though i use it as a booster in front of f a dirty amp. I think that it could benefit from 18v.

Yes i like 18v, i like 24 v even more, it gives that nice clarity to everything, there is a bit less distortion, but i don't really need my wah to distort, or bbe sonic stomp, zen drive and other ts type od-s have enough distortion, and besides i like how they push the amp, and not for their own distortion amount.

So 18 v pedals ( aka those that i am using with 18v )
All diy

ibanez wh10 ( wah wah ), suhr riot ( modified, has a full tonestack and some caps are changed for a bit more bass ), BBE Sonic Stomp, Zendrive, Boiling point, another-ts-type-pedal-but-a-bit-modded ( not completed yet ), Also i am building  pigtronix philisophers tone ( which i plan to use with 18 v ) and diy fet based od. I was thinking of a p2399 delay being pushed with a 18v, for more clarity, but i think that it would require a big heatsink for that 7805.

So far that is it.

anchovie

Quote from: JebemMajke on February 11, 2015, 05:16:07 AM
I was thinking of a p2399 delay being pushed with a 18v, for more clarity, but i think that it would require a big heatsink for that 7805.

You won't gain any extra clarity - that 7805 is supplying the 5V for the chip including it's internal op-amps which aren't even rail-to-rail, so the actual headroom is about 3.5V peak-to-peak.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

R.G.

It seems a shame that the "mod" of running pedals at twice their designed power supply voltage is so popular.

I guess I should be OK with that, as it makes a better market for selling more pedals to replace the ones that die from this "mod".

But it still seems like a shame.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.