How to make the time between each delay longer in pt2399 delay?

Started by nguitar12, February 11, 2015, 10:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 03, 2019, 09:14:19 AM
For experimental purposes, I put together a dual "Cave Dweller" (Madbean) to use with a modular synth I've been gradually assembling.  It is configurable as two delays in parallel, mixed down to mono, OR two delays in series.  The "killer app" is that the feedback path can be cross-fed such that the feedback signal can be fed to the delay it came from or to the other delay.  Other things to get to first, but I'm looking forward to firing it up.

I really like the original, slightly left-field version of the Cave Dweller.  It will be interesting to see how you did the series/parallel/cross-feedback thing in a pretty picture when you can get round to it.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Mark Hammer

It was pretty easy, actually, if you make some connections by default.  Only took a DPDT toggle.  Input always goes to delay circuit A, and delay B's output always goes to the mixing stage.  Then the toggle directs the output of A to either B's input or the mixing stage, and B's input from either A's output or the main input. That arrangement limits the possibilities, but not unreasonably so.  With the two delays in parallel, one can accomplish what things like the Equinox reverb do with a pair of 2399s, but with greater variation.  In series, you can crossfeed B's feedback to A and kill A's feedback feed, so that it operates like a single delay with two 2399s in series.

I recommend that folks interested in experimentation with delay throw a handful of Cavedwellers together.  A trio in parallel could likely nail some interesting reverb-like sounds, given that Belton bricks are fundamentally 3 PT2399s.  If you insert feedback crossfeeds, the possibilities are endless.  And if one arranges for one or two of them to have distinctive tonal qualities (e.g., one tweaked for only high end, and one tweaked for only lows), you can use the mixing to achieve different tonal qualities to the resulting reverb.