2 stage Electra help needed

Started by ljoe1969, February 25, 2015, 02:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGM

EQD doesn't have a second set of clipping diodes....that was what has been the issue I've been on about.   Without them, it's a clipper with a boost after, nothing wrong with that at all!     Now I want to whip 2 up, both with diodes, to see if they can play nicely with each other.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mark Hammer

An experiment that occurred to me last night.  Two sets of clipping diodes go to ground.  Wire up a 2k-5k pot, with one outside lug going to the (formerly) ground connection of each pair of diodes, and tie the wiper of the pot to ground.  This would allow a person to pan between the majority of clipping occurring in the one stage or the other (as all the pot's resistance to ground is shuttled over to the "other" diode pair), and a little bit of softer clipping happening in both stages.

Ben N

Have a look-see at Gus Smalley's overdrive for some input on tone shaping in a single stage boost.

'Twere me, I'd breadboard a pair of Electras, and then, in the first one, play with the values of the coupling caps (0.1 uf) in and out experiment with a bypass cap on the emitter resistor (like in most tube amps, and the 0.22 uf in Gus's Overdrive), to cut some bass from being pumped into your second stage. Experiment with clippers in or out of each stage, and with different diodes as first stage clippers. Changing clippers will change the tone, a little, but will also affect how much of your signal ends up slamming into the second stage.
  • SUPPORTER