Non-Inverting Op-Amp Theory

Started by BennyBoy, December 15, 2023, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyBoy

Hey all,

Just had a quick question that I am not sure how to formulate in searches for info but I was curious about the theory behind non-inverting op-amps that have the negative feedback connected to reference voltage rather than ground. In what cases would this design choice be made, and how does this effect gain calculations? 

There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dur, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.

Rob Strand

Quote from: BennyBoy on December 15, 2023, 04:53:05 PMJust had a quick question that I am not sure how to formulate in searches for info but I was curious about the theory behind non-inverting op-amps that have the negative feedback connected to reference voltage rather than ground. In what cases would this design choice be made, and how does this effect gain calculations? 
The assumption is Vref is a low impedance source (for AC) so it makes no difference to basic calculations.

If Vref isn't quite a low impedance source then that complicates things a lot because you can't ignore the Vref impedance.

In practice connecting the feedback to GND or VREF can produce different levels of noise an hum.   You can analyse this fairly easily but it's outside of the general hobbyist's world.

Connecting the feedback path to GND produces a DC voltage across the cap C6.   This can affect small package SMD devices.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

BennyBoy

Thanks, Rob! That makes a lot of sense.
There he took up again his great Ring in Barad-dur, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.

phasetrans

Quote from: Rob Strand on December 15, 2023, 05:30:30 PMConnecting the feedback path to GND produces a DC voltage across the cap C6.   This can affect small package SMD devices.

Specifically, a DC bias across the SMD capacitor changes the spontaneous polarization of the dielectric (typically barium titanite). In practice this means the capacitor has less capacitance with the DC voltage applied, than without.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Quote from: phasetrans on December 16, 2023, 09:34:19 AMSpecifically, a DC bias across the SMD capacitor changes the spontaneous polarization of the dielectric (typically barium titanite). In practice this means the capacitor has less capacitance with the DC voltage applied, than without.
Even SMD ceramics.  I posted info and plots a few times about it on the forum.  It can be a strong effect for larger capacitance values in smaller packages.

These results are indicative of the problem:

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ElectricDruid

...so stay safe, kids! Use traditional big, ol'electrolytic caps and avoid the problems!  :icon_lol:

antonis

!!!..DON'T PUT GARBAGE IN Vref..!!!
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

amptramp

If you have multiple stages connecting to Vref and any of them are driving any current into it, it may be preferable to establish more than one Vref to keep feeedback from subsequent stages from upsetting the Vref voltage.  This may be easier than trying to get the impedance of Vref down to a minimum.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: amptramp on December 16, 2023, 03:00:44 PMIf you have multiple stages connecting to Vref and any of them are driving any current into it, it may be preferable to establish more than one Vref to keep feeedback from subsequent stages from upsetting the Vref voltage.  This may be easier than trying to get the impedance of Vref down to a minimum.
I've been studying old drum machine schematics recently, and you see this *all over*. Practically every separate sound circuit (snare, bass drum, cymbals, whatever) has a separate RC filter from the main supply, and pretty much *every* op-amp has its own Vref. I guess the type of clicks and thumps these things are *designed* to generate are pretty much the worst case for coupling through to other circuits, especially when they're all jammed up together on one PCB, as they tend to be for cost reasons.

phasetrans

Quote from: Rob Strand on December 16, 2023, 11:30:14 AM
Quote from: phasetrans on December 16, 2023, 09:34:19 AMSpecifically, a DC bias across the SMD capacitor changes the spontaneous polarization of the dielectric (typically barium titanite). In practice this means the capacitor has less capacitance with the DC voltage applied, than without.
Even SMD ceramics.  I posted info and plots a few times about it on the forum.  It can be a strong effect for larger capacitance values in smaller packages.

Small, large value caps have more interleaved metal / dielectric alternating layers inside. So the local electric field strength is higher in the dielectric, and the effect on the inherent polarization of the ferroelectric is higher.

Long ago as an undergraduate, I worked in a lab where we looked at the polarization behavior of ferroelectric materials. As well as nucleation and growth of the ferroelectric domains.
  • SUPPORTER