What Does the Foxx Phase?

Started by nickbungus, March 09, 2015, 05:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

You have it right Nick.

I figured it out over the weekend. The schematic floating around is for the Sears 1482 Phasing Pedal that Foxx produced.

After researching the Foxx Foot Phaser over that last several weeks, It seems that Foxx produced the Regal Outa Phase, the Foxx Foot Phaser, and the Foxx Foot Phaser Studio Model 7.

The differences that I've seen so far between the Studio Model 7 and the Sears Phasing Pedal are:

Model 7
220µf filter cap and a 12Ω resistor in series with the DC jack
C16 & C21 are .1µf
Rotary switch with .47µ & 22µf tants for two additional speeds

Sears Phasing Pedal 1482
No 220µf filter cap, 12Ω resistor or DC jack (battery powered only)
C16 & C21 as per schematic .01µf
Speed switch as per schematic (toggle switch, two speeds, no additional capacitors)

I've sourced a DeArmond enclosure (same as Foxx) and 50 2N4302s. I'm going to continue to research this circuit to build a good replica of the original Studio Model 7.

I'll update this thread with a schematic when things are a bit further along.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

nickbungus

Great stuff Armdnrdy.  Its all very interesting stuff.

I do believe that mine sounds pretty authentic but I would definitely love to do a build with your Studio Model 7 version. 

Would you be willing to sell me 6 matched 2n4302s?  I socketed my J201s so I could easily swap them out and re-calibrate.

To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

armdnrdy

Sure Nick.

I should be receiving them this week...then I'll match em up.

Here is an image of the original Foxx Foot Phaser. (Not the Studio Model 7)

I can't see any difference in the component layout or switching.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

nickbungus

I had read about the 1482 and the Regal but was guessing they were much the same thing, just rebranded.  Saying that, I had noticed on the gut shots that there were some different off board components, but being a total novice I chose to ignore! :icon_redface:

I don't know if it helps you and might save you a bit of time but here are my DesignSpark files.

If you use Eagle I think they can converted easily enough.

nickbungus

I wonder if this website is worth a punt?

They have 2 Foxx phaser schematics available, the 1482 and one just branded fOXX phaser.

armdnrdy

As far as I can tell so far...the Regal is an exact copy of the Studio Model 7....just re-branded.

I already have your files in my folder. Thanks.

I have already begun to redraw the schematic. I've made it a bit more easy to follow the paths of the different sections.

Once the schematic is finished, I'll work out the board file in Eagle.

I'm still kind of stuck on the speed switching. I don't know the lug numbering of the older style rotary switch, and I'm not sure how the speed switching solder pads in the images correlate with the schematic. I have been trying different configurations to see what gets connected and the results of those connections. Kind of trial and error.  :icon_wink:

armdnrdy

Quote from: nickbungus on April 27, 2015, 10:17:56 AM
I wonder if this website is worth a punt?

They have 2 Foxx phaser schematics available, the 1482 and one just branded fOXX phaser.

I just emailed inquiring if the schematics are truly different. I was just on that site yesterday but...for some reason I could not find the Foxx page. I entered the site from a link on a webpage. I think that link took me into a web black hole!  :icon_eek:

nickbungus

Haha, I emailed them exactly the same thing.  They will be freaked out.

I'd happily take the risk with the schematic and share if you want to do a deal on the 6 fets?  That's if they get back to either of us

armdnrdy

nickbungus

A minute before I posted the link.  Today, about 8:15 DiyStompboxes time, 15:15 my time (UK).

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: digi2t on March 10, 2015, 06:35:07 AM
Quote from: antonis on March 10, 2015, 06:11:26 AM
Propably "m" for capacitors refer to "μ" (or "u" for those who haven't Greek keyboard)... :icon_eek:

My Dad's got one. He get's his mu on.  :icon_mrgreen:

What?

groaaaaannnnn.......  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

Quote from: nickbungus on April 27, 2015, 11:20:46 AM
A minute before I posted the link.  Today, about 8:15 DiyStompboxes time, 15:15 my time (UK).

Okay..

I was wondering if it was days ago.

I've "ordered" drawings from MusicParts before and.....they don't seem to be the most timely outfit!

I believe the person running the site has a real job. Can't feed the family off of selling other people's schematics alone!  :icon_wink:

nickbungus

The guy at MusicParts has got back to me, 'Thanks for your request, we will check.'

armdnrdy

Boy...you must have a way with words....he didn't get back to me.  ???

Maybe he's a member of this forum...and read your post: "I'd happily take the risk with the schematic and share if you want to do a deal on the 6 fets?"

Or...maybe he read mine: "I've "ordered" drawings from MusicParts before and.....they don't seem to be the most timely outfit!

I believe the person running the site has a real job. Can't feed the family off of selling other people's schematics alone!
icon_wink"

Some good news...I figured out the rotary switch numbering and connections. It took a while but...I finally got it!

nickbungus

Are you expecting to see many differences between the two schematics or a few very subtle ones?

I've another lead on the schematic, see the comments on the YouTube clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f-8KJ5mK0E

He bought a re-issue and then had the PCB built based on the original by a friend.  I've asked him if he would contact his friend and get a copy of the schematic.  Hopefully I'll hear something back, although he does saying something about 10 fets which is worrying.

armdnrdy

Here is the rotary switching.

The four different positions add/subtract the board mounted 2.2µf & .22µf capacitors in parallel and series with the switch mounted .47µf & 22µf caps.

Position 1 = 1.21µf
Position 2 = 1.11µf
Position 3 = .44µf
Position 4 = .11µf

Slowest speed is in the CCW position, fastest CW

nickbungus

Well done, great stuff.

So would I be able to replace my toggle switch with this without any on-board modifications?

armdnrdy

Correct.

To answer your earlier question:

I don't anticipate any great differences in the schematics but....maybe just enough to change the sound a bit.

There are cap values/types that I cannot find on the board images.

I have quite a few component side board shots but no trace side shots to follow the circuit and verify the schematic.

If we can get the drawing from MusicParts...that will definitely help out!

nickbungus

So what type of rotary switch is that?  (Remember I am an electronics idiot).  2 Pole 4 way and A and B are the poles?

armdnrdy

The original is a 2 pole, 4 position.

You might have a hard time finding one of those so...you can use the common 3 pole, 4 position and leave the "C" lugs unconnected.

You can use either the open type, or the closed type.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X3+pole+4+position+rotary+switch.TRS1&_nkw=3+pole+4+position+rotary+switch&_sacat=0