Wedgies Anyone? A 1590B tutorial

Started by Cozybuilder, April 03, 2015, 06:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

I'm no metal worker either, but I do own a hammer, and I love watching (community access tv) programs where the bloke hammers a flat sheet until he has a new bonnet for an FJ, or something. if yr Al box has those real big crystals of aluminium showing, I think they'd be more crackable than bendable.

maybe it's just the crummy cases I've seen is the problem.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Cozybuilder

How appropriate that Mister DA posted just before this!

As promised, here is the completed build using the wedgie. Circuit by Sam Hay, just a couple of mods. Thanks to Michael (Whiskey Made Me Do It) for a lot of help in pulling off the graphic.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

davent

Super job Russ, came out great!

Thanks for the tutorial, makes for a very cool little box in a flavour different  from the norm.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bloxstompboxes

Holy crap! That's a lot of jumpers. lol. Good job.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Perrow

If you start off with a 125B enclosure you'll have five extra millimeters of height to begin with.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Cozybuilder

Pelle-
Agreed, 125B would make it a lot easier- you could fit open frame jacks in the back along with the 9V Jack, and use the large blue 3PDT switch. I hope to see other builds  ;D

Crowella

Bookmarked this thread. That's a really tidy job that I feel a lot of people can do easily. Kudos.  ;D
Rhythm in jump, dancing close to you

duck_arse

cozy - I never thought I'd read a comment like that. outstanding looking thing there, even without a footy.

[change yr name to purple fuzz in a week's time, and I might have something to show after one of your posts.]

plexi12000

peterg

Russ - looks good! What's next? A 1590a box wedgie?

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Cozybuilder

Heres another in the Wedgie enclosure. Its a modified Axis Face.

I almost feel guilty that there is so much room in there!

davent

Ah... room to breath, nicely done Russ!
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Luke51411

Nice pink wedgie! I'm still waiting to see you turn a 1590A into a wedgie... :icon_mrgreen:

Rob Strand

I can't say I would have going to the trouble of doing that!    Some of you guys are so keen, it's amazing.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Cozybuilder

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I built 2 of these, with a couple of changes in the coupling caps, and the reverse polarity protection. You can use a 1N4148 or other diode (forward voltage drop about 0.7V) or a BS250 (P-channel MOSFET, forward voltage drop about 0.03V).

Here is the schematic and the perf layout. This layout could easily be done as a PCB.

Cozybuilder

After seeing a 1968 Vox ToneBender V828, this looked like a reasonable next step in the development of a practical Wedgie from a 1590B. I wasn't trying to duplicate it, but rather capture the essence of the original.

This project started with the steps outlined in the first posting, making a wedgie, with a couple of additional steps, and a method to assure the bottom pieces are in the same plane and end up with a usable box.

1) Here is the basic layout. I adjusted the pot location from the pictured build to better center the knobs in the graphic:

2) Before making any cuts, drill for the 9V and I/O jacks first. Its much easier to clamp the rectangular box than the wedgie. The other holes are easily done later. The basic wedge box is formed with the cutout of the wedge, then the top. Best to cut the bottom (angle) of the wedge shape first, then the parallel cut to the top, then cut across the top. Band saw preferred, hacksaw a little more work but very doable, last choice is a dremel cutter. Once the top has been cut off, file or sand the two pieces to a good fit.

3) Mark your lines top and bottom. My build divided the width by 4 (0.58"), and cut that amount. I think thats excessive, and would recommend a smaller dimension, maybe 0.40" - 0.45", instead. On the bottom plate, measure the distance the screw hole center is from the edge, and mark that on the edge. Draw a parallel line to your cut line, and measure up to it.you will align the side piece by screwing into the boss.

4) Now cut the angle piece from the top, side, and bottom on ONE SIDE ONLY. Be sure the bottom and top are on the same side. Cut and fit the front and side piece to match up, and use a dremel to do the relief cuts on the bottom lip so that you can screw the side to it. Once everything fits well, JB Weld the top to the cut side, the top, and along the front, do not glue the portions that will be cut in the next step. Use all 4 screws in the bottom plate for aligning. After cure it should look like the second photo below.

5) Now do the same steps on the other side. This one is a lot easier than the first. Fill in any shallow places, radius the inside edges etc.

6) You will need to form a new lip in the bottom plate, you can just use the wedge piece you cut out as the base material. Take a little time with the dremel and JB Weld and you can make it look better than I did.

Heres the completed project (so much unused space   :'():

So, a fiddly project that will give you a little different flavor. Heres a family shot of the three wedgies done to date:

duck_arse

now that I've seen how you did the toe-taper, nice work. you're mad, but nice work anyway.

and aren't all fuzzes pink?

Cozybuilder

I'll take that as a compliment Ducky, thank you! Pink just didn't suit this "tribute" pedal, but yes most of my distortion-type pedals are pink.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on June 24, 2015, 11:53:20 AM
nice work. you're mad, but nice work anyway.

+1    (Quite, quite mad...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...