Started by ~arph, April 13, 2015, 03:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

Oh boy, ringdroid 2.0 is going to be sooooo good!  :D

Just following the latest teaser trend

~arph

ok, some specs:

- (true) Sine wave modulation
- Carrier null adjust (no bleeding carrier noise)
- Carrier frequency adjustable between 0.2Hz and 2kHz (or something like that.. HIGH)
- Bit of low pass filtering up front to smooth out some harmonics (= better bell like sounds)
- Low parts count
- Four modes:  Manual, Sample & Hold, (Step) Envelope (up/down), Track ( Carrier frequency is directly modified by input audio )
- Controls: S&H tempo, frequency range, modulation speed/depth, attack, decay, clean blend, volume (duh), tap tempo, and lots more.
- Only six pots and two footswitches
- Relay bypass

It needs a microcontroller btw..

There are sounds, but right now its ASMOP.

String Ringer. Eat you heart out

digi2t

I hate you.

:D

The microcontroller part scares me though.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

~arph

:-*

I started all analog, but using a micro makes it so much simpler. I can implement envelope,  s&h, lfo, footswitches Logic, etc.
etc all in a single dip14 package

Beo

PIC or AVR? I chose AVR when I got into uC programming.

~arph

nosamiam

Do you think you will post the project files when you're done? And if so, would you sell preprogrammed microcontrollers? Looking forward to seeing this one in action!

~arph

Still thinking about that.. I have not seen any benefits in doing so yet, apart from that I feel
I owe this place so much and that it would make a handfull of people here happy. And I have also seen the downside that people take your idea/design and run with it.. I guess it all comes down to whether I want to do something commercial with my designs or not. If I decide not to, which is highly likely I will share it all. I do realize that posting a teaser and then not posting the schematics would be a bit of a stupid move and not a very nice thing to do..  :icon_redface: 

electricco

there is a Ringdroid 1 ? I could see and hear ?

If you need help with Arduino let me know...:-)

good luck !!

~arph

Yes, there is a version 1.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=100689.0

I am fine with AVR programming, but thanks for the offer.

Version one can be improved by giving the first stage some gain and reducing it after modulation. This reduces the carrier bleed

nosamiam

Understood ~arph. Thanks, and let us know if you do decide to make this stuff available. Looks like a great pedal!

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

~arph

I need to drag this one from the pit. The prototype I had went into a Star Wars themed pedal to go with a guitar. One thing that bothers me is that it uses an obsolete part with no modern equivalent. You can still get it though. I moved houses almost a year ago and I still do not have a decent place to work. I want to settle on the design and then there will be options for features that just require different uC code. First thing is getting myself a second prototype.

Also some features will likely be dropped.

- The track option, it works, but since the audio modulation of the carrier is so fast it is not as exiting in practice as on eh, web page.
- relay bypass. There are some great cheap daughterboards available now.
- Four pots will do just fine.

Processaurus

Ring modulator is the final frontier of effects abuse. It takes heroic effort to get something resembling music out of one.  I'm curious about your tracking feature. I would think that is the key to musical ring modulation, because with a basic ring mod, you can find a frequency that sounds good with one note, kind of like interesting distortions or robot harmonies, but it turns to awful (tho oft entertaining) noise when you switch to a different note. It defies everything you know about scales.

Did the sine oscillator just track the guitar, monophonically?  Even that is impressive. Could it do pitch offsets (fifth higher, octave lower, etc)? Synths that can ring modulate one oscillator with the other are usually cool sounding, and those track together, and you offset one's pitch from the other.

EH had a tracking thing in their ring thing, but their idea was that you held the button down to catch the note you are playing, and then it samples and holds that pitch. It doesn't keep tracking, and it takes it a second to get the pitch, so you can't tap the button repeatedly and have it track a string of notes. Still it is a cool way to set the freq to something musical.