Would there be interest in such a product?

Started by Brisance, April 24, 2015, 08:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisance

Basically I am going to design a PCB for myself, which I can solder straight to a stomp switch and connect all other cables to it, board I/O, battery, DC jack, I/O jacks, and the LED.

Then I will also put a P-MOS polarity protection and power filter caps on it as well, and a resistor for the LED. I want to order them from a PCB house so there will not be any more manufacturing work from me besides soldering it, the idea being that when I want to build a pedal, I can connect everything to the board and just 4 wires to the effect PCB, I was thinking of maybe ordering a larger amount, along with components and selling them with a reasonable price( minor profit ) as bare PCBs and kits.

What do you think?

I will most likely do it anyway, but if there's interest I will just order a much larger batch(e.g 200 vs 50)

Bill Mountain

No power filtering but this is pretty close:

http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#!/PCBs/c/10252302/offset=0&sort=normal

Just 4 wires for the PCB.  Everything else goes to the board.

Brisance

Ah, that's nice as well and I can see there's a market. I want one that has all that I described, so I can build projects fast and not worry about wiring too much, so I will do it! polarity protection is nice too :) I'll make sure to make the price as low as I can too ( but offer an extra fee for shipping ASAP ;) ) I can foresee them being something like 2-3€ a pop, or with components included maybe 10€, depending on the switch prices I get. Maybe even incorporate the i/o caps outer pulldown resistors in there. Since I am selling them to builders, I don't have to assemble them either so I can keep the price low :)

Bill Mountain

Make is to it can fit on regular solder lugs and I'll buy a few.

antonis

It should be more complicated but it's a good idea to include In and/or Out grounding in Bypass mode... :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

italianguy63

There are a lot of those out there in different variants already.  I wonder if anybody has done any to incorporate enclosed jacks too.. so the jacks/stomp all in one...  Just thinking aloud here..  

Edit:  To fit in 125B or 1590B's

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

Just to play devil's advocate...

1. Seems like it would be the same amount of labor at the end of the day.
2. Changing the switch would be a pain.
3. Testing the circuit wouldn't be consistent as I'd like. I prefer (usually) that everything live on the main board, including power/pull downs etc.

I could almost see myself etching a handful that are DPDT with a millennium style bypass attached but only because when I do MB I end up attaching it to the side footswitch anyway. I would put MB on the main board but deciding to use one (or not) tends to occur later in the process and may change. YMMV.

italianguy63

I feel a bit of the opposite personally on the PCB on the stomp.

I am a meat-hand with the solder gun sometimes.  3PDT boards make hookup WAY easier.  Plus, they hold the pins in place when you solder-- so when you melt the epoxy.. they don't get ruined and cause troubleshooting later.  And, I think they look way better than the typical solder blob 3PDT's with tiny wire jumpers.  But, that is my take.

I'd rather throw the $3 assembly away than waste my time if the switch goes bad anyway....  Easy to detach/re-attach the wires.

My .02.  MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

mth5044

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 24, 2015, 09:03:02 AM
There are a lot of those out there in different variants already.  I wonder if anybody has done any to incorporate enclosed jacks too.. so the jacks/stomp all in one...  Just thinking aloud here..  

Edit:  To fit in 125B or 1590B's

MC

I have done it. Not fun when drilling the enclosure. Measure measure measure measure measure measure measure measure measure measure. Doesn't fit. Lugs are stressed, PCB fractures. It took a lot of time to get one correctly in there, so much more time than just wiring the stupid things. I even tried them on 'professionally' custom drilled enclosures. No dice.

Single sided PCB mounting, pots, etc? Sure, all the time. But throw in the side dimensions and it's a nightmare.

armdnrdy

I usually put my DC jack at the back of the box so....attaching any of the "power" components by the switch wouldn't be too useful for my builds.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

italianguy63

Got it.   ;D

Thanks Matt!

Edit-- just moving to PCB mount pots/switches has been a great help.  I've been a lot more cognizant of where the wires on the PCB need to be too.. I do double-sided, so I have some come in from the bottom, and others from the top now.  Looks way cleaner.........

MC

Brisance

well if the power connection is in the back, then yeah, that's gonna be hard, but the stomp switch straight to pcb and not tons of wires, not even for the led will make it worthwile for me, besides the pMOS polarity protection will add to its value, i.e protection with minimal voltage loss.

Might do one with soft latching power and a true bypass relay as well, so you'd only have to connect a single pole momentary to it, and have the board anywhere in the enc.