Will update forum sometime in the new couple of days

Started by aron, May 17, 2015, 03:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

PRR

> I installed Nobel Dark.

Does not like the {LIKE} button. This sits left of the avatar, pushes everything over.

That's what I also saw browsing the Themes listing at the SMF site. The previews run from OK to awful (or missing) and it takes a lot of clicks to check out any reasonable number. It is clear that some of them do not react well to some other forum customizations. I'd like to hack, but the mechanism isn't making sense at a glance. I did get my tractor working again but now I need to tear-out some disgusting carpeting upstairs....
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

well, I keep getting 20 pages of "results", but nothing 'Nobel' or 'Dark'.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

stallik

PRR - you're right
Duck arse - stop looking
Aron - I'm sorry I suggested it and for wasting your time
To my eyes, the colour scheme is pleasant but the impimentation is truly awful. I should have realised there might be something amiss when the demo did not work and we only had screen shots to look at.... :icon_redface:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

aron

Someone theoretically could modify the .css of the main forum making it dark but it would be a labor of love and how would they be able to test it? I guess if you could run a local version of SMF on your computer you could do it.

stallik

You're right about it being a labour of love. Done it in the past but I've no desire to go there again. The css goes hand in hand with the php and there are suprises at every turn. That's why it's so easy to turn to existing themes and why some of them fall short.

I'm getting quite used to the diystombox2 theme now but do miss the view replies to your posts link that used to be at the top. I'm simply typing in the URL when I want it so it's no great issue. I presume this went along with the welcome - you are- and here's your avatar group which took up a lot of space at the top.

One thing I really appreciate is that on my systems, any video links are much better now with a single, big area instead of 2, one large one small.

You've done your usual great job Aron, thank you. Time to go make music now?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

aron

Thanks! Testing a few pedals my friend dropped off:

Tsuchi Fuzz, Jersey Girl Fulltender and New Tube driver.
Also fooling around with some of my older stuff.

PRR

> I'm getting quite used to the diystombox2 theme now but do miss the view replies to your posts link that used to be at the top.

I do not see this "diystombox2" theme. I do see a "DIYTheme2" theme. On there, the "Show new replies to your posts" link is in the header, near your face. Like this:

> 20 pages of "results", but nothing 'Nobel' or 'Dark'.

Not on the SMF site. (Anyway you can't use these without Aron's help.)

On *this forum*, Profile, Account Settings, Modify Profile, Look And Layout.

*First* question is "Current Theme: DIYTheme2 (change)". Yes, I missed it too.

Click "change".

You have a page of the Themes which Aron has installed here.

These three all work (and look 99% the same to me):
Forum or Board Default
SMF Default Theme - Curve
DIYTheme2

On a PC, "iOS.MF" gave me endless trouble. It seems to expect an authentication via iPhone?

Noble Dark is at the bottom. It does not play well with this forum's configuration and I strongly advise against it. The posts are scattered left-right and it is hard to tell one post from the next.

Babylon is what I had before the change but MANY of the labels are missing. Post/cancel, section jump..... I blundered an hour before I thought "maybe the backend changed and does not like the Theme I have set", saw Aron's initial advice to use Curve, then his DIY tweak.

4 people are using Girlyman, more power to them.

> how would they be able to test it? ...could run a local version of SMF...

I am astonished that "Change theme" does not offer "local file on my machine". That's the only way anybody could do the necessary testing against a live chaotic forum without inviting trouble among the members. Also if you screw-up royally, you could hide the local copy and the forum would/should auto-default the Aron-installed forum default.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Sorry PRR, I was going from memory. I'm using DIYtheme2 and the group at the top with my picture and all the links is missing.  It was originally there but this was before Aron  placed the forum logo at the top so I had presumed that he'd removed the group at the same time.  The group does appear with curve but not DIYtheme2.  May be a cache issue so will check again tonight

stallik

Ah.  Blind idiot! Little arrow top right of screen shows and hides the group :icon_redface:

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

duck_arse

thank you, PRR (just imagine I pressed an imaginary button ....), I have seen it, tried it, now rejected it. it is a mess, that dark, noble.

how many people's browsers offer them on a right klik menu "Edit Site Preferences ....", any/many? if you write yourself a local .css file, filled with "!important", my personal favourite rule, you can hammer and fight the sight to your own sight likings. I've been hacking at the googoo search returns page for years now, but the buggers keep changing their tags/ids/classes, I can't now be bothered. my old local sheet works on some pages here still, but not general reading threads.

soon.

GGBB

Quote from: duck_arse on May 28, 2015, 11:24:31 AMI've been hacking at the googoo search returns page for years now, but the buggers keep changing their tags/ids/classes,

Adblock Plus and the Element Hiding Helper work great for me (if you are trying to get rid of ads in search results).
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

div#logocont img, h1 a#logo img   { display: none !important; }
div#gbq1, table#gbqlt   { display: none !important; }
div#rhs   { width: 0 !important; }
img[class~="th"] { display: none !important; }
blue.like button { display: none !important !important !important !important; }

PRR

> Blind idiot! Little arrow top right of screen shows and hides the group

And thank you! I had not noticed that obscure little hider arrow. If the dog bit the mouse and clicked it, all that stuff would be gone and I'd never know why.
  • SUPPORTER

plexi12000

Aron.....  i like the changes.  maybe "change" aint so bad after all!  lol

aron

I installed Prince of Darkness, see how that goes.

ubersam

Quote from: aron on May 28, 2015, 07:10:31 PM
I installed Prince of Darkness, see how that goes.
Looks good. I'll try it out for a while.

thelonious

The Prince of Darkness is installed on the forum??  :icon_twisted:

Love the new look, Aron. Thanks for your work on it.

Tony Forestiere

Yay!!! The preview before posting is now working!!!  :-* Thanks!
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me