help with orange squeeze

Started by LightSoundGeometry, June 02, 2015, 05:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

well..not only did i try over 25-30 pre amps...I spent 12 dollars + on 20 vero strips ..19 didnt not work and here is number 20 and last vero left ..I wasted over 100 dollars in parts over the last 2 weeks and over 50-75 circuits and not one will work ..I cant understand whats going on

like day 14 now and this is # 20

no mods

everything like the layout:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/orange-squeezer.html

IC chip:

1 - 7.65
2 - 35.2
3 - 6.46
4 - 0
5  - 9.38
6 - 7.65
7 - 7.64
8 - 0

left to right Jfet 1:

D .95
S .96
G 0

D 9.3
S 6.68
G .96

diode is saying  zero and zer o..bad diode?

I am having a hard time believing these are this difficult. everywhere I read t talks about how simple, low part and easy these are to do ..the regular guy is putting these together

somehow, someway, someone has to see the error or common denominator to wy so many attempts are failing ..to me my stuff looks pretty tight for a guy messing around with stuff for 6-7 months

I have literally been up 16-20 a day scrutinizing, tearing down, rebuilding and trying to get a OS, a EP preamp and a lp 60's together ..I have all but exhausted by parts and have run out of money

I am hoping a new set of eyes will reveal in time what this fatal error is

i clipped the little strand left over on the bypass switch on the bottom right ..still nothing ..all looks good to me ..this is killing me..I am about ready to fall to my knees and just cry.

i am so frustrated, I am willing to mail this circuit to someone ..I dont even want to build anymore after this..all i want to know is why i was unable to do it

antonis

Your IC pin measurements are totally wrong..!!

Start with +9V (pin 8) then with pin 5 and pin 3 (non inverting inputs) and finally with pin 2 and pin 6 (inverting inputs)..

(I presume that 35.2V at pin 2 is just a typo error..) :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

LightSoundGeometry

so measure those pins in that order? 8, 5 . 3  - 2 and 6

no it was reading that high ..I will brb with new measurment

antonis

If your measurements are correct then you have some major wiring/PCB problem...

It's not something like simply reversed IC or so, because - in case of reversal - you should have +9V reading either at pin 4 or 8..

edit: I've just noticed that one side of Op Amp is unused so pin 6 & 7 have a short circuit and pin 5 SHOULD be connected to GND..!!!
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

LightSoundGeometry

looks like major problems ...but where ? I swear I am following the layout ..I made one of these about 3-4 months ago and it worked just fine ...I have made a bunch of pedals before ..not understanding why this is happening to me . I must be cursed, the Gods must not want me to do this.

I probably just put everything I have left on ebay if I cant get a working pedal soon. the past few weeks have been torture. Seems I am learnig a lot..but cannot apply to make a pedal ...funny thing is my soldering looks 100 times better ..mind boggling

8 = 9.31
5 = 0 sometimes it reads .1
3= 6.46
2=35.2
6=7.65

Rob Strand

There might be a few problems here:

- Maybe the problem is the 390k (orange white yellow) is 390ohm (orange white brown).

- The 35.2V is actually 35mV = 0.035V  (so pretty much zero); look at you meter is shows MV

- When you make measurements don't put your finger on the metal probe.  It will cause all sorts of problems.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

antonis

I was just ready to say that you've made an excellent voltage multiplier.. :icon_redface:

LightSoundGeometry

no it was reading that anyways ..I just held it liek that for camera ..I probed around carefully to make sure and it read 32

could be the 390 ..let me go back and check again..I been at this one now for over 14 hours since ysterday evening ..I am going to sleep and look with fresh eyes

talk to you soon anotis ..i am greek to btw way lol well 1/4 greek on my moms side

LightSoundGeometry

are you saying the layout is flawed with the IC chip ? maybe its the vero layout and not me ??

might be that resistor ..it looks like a brown not yellow

firing up solder gun now going in for surgery repair

antonis

If you post a schematic (or a link to) we will happy to do the dirty job for you...
(despite that we are also grown men and prone to break down and cry, too...)

Rob Strand

It should definitely be 390k = 390K  =  orange white yellow
Not 390 ohm = 390R = orange white brown
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

LightSoundGeometry

LightSoundGeometry

rob, I owe you some beer or pizza ..

soon as I get some extra cash   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

works liek a big dog now ..beautiful compression for my clean tone

i can now go to bed and sleep for 6+ hours ..finally lol

antonis

So.. step by step:

With a 390k/470k voltage divider and 9.3V you should measure 5.0V at pin 3..
Check these resistors with PS off..

Rob Strand

Quoteworks liek a big dog now ..beautiful compression for my clean tone
Great news!

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: antonis on June 02, 2015, 07:57:28 AM
So.. step by step:

With a 390k/470k voltage divider and 9.3V you should measure 5.0V at pin 3..
Check these resistors with PS off..

I will tomorrow , fading to into dreamland now, I ben awake ove4 40 hours now lol

duck_arse

lsg - look over your failed boards for any resistor that starts with orange-white, and check the multiplier band. it might be the common.
don't make me draw another line.

PRR

> ..19 didnt not work

Don't start building houses. 19 houses that "dont work" would be ex-pensive.

Usually, anything trickier than a septic-tank lid (today's project here), you put up a few sticks and check them before you put on more. Like if it was supposed to be a 390-inch beam, and you put on a 0.39 inch shim, you might notice. Electronics are not as "eye friendly" as a house-stick 389.6 inches short of where it is supposed to reach, so you need to check carefully.

And....

> it was reading that anyways ... ... it read 32

32 *what*? Inches? Yards? Volts? Kilo-volts? MILLI-volts?

The (too small) "mV" top-right means milli-Volts. In plain english, 0.032 Volts. "Zero", near-enough for most audio DC-check purposes.

And of course a "reading" of "32 Volts" in a system with only 9V going in (and no booster tricks) really begs for close investigation. (Yeah, I've checked all the unlikely possibilities before palm-facing and *looking* for the "mV" flag.)
  • SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

i just needed rest and a clear thinking head.