Question about XP-100 to XP-ALL Conversion/Mod

Started by shoegazecity, June 18, 2015, 05:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

OK... first things first.

#1 - Post up some good pics of your build. PLEASE DO NOT post up pic sizes like above  :icon_eek: Resize them according to the post above and we can go from there. Good enough to see everything but, not too small where you need a magnifying glass.  ;D

#2 - I'm pretty sure that I know where at least one of your problems are based on reading your posts. DO NOT power up the pedal until you post the pics AND we sort through it.

#3 - If by "THM7128" you mean the metal heat sink that sits over the voltage regulator (just above the EEPROM) the NO... it should NOT get hot  :o

Lets get those pics up and keep the pedal powered down and we will get it fixed!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

shoegazecity

1. Here are some better sized pics  :icon_lol: (doing width equals 500, let me know if these sizes are good for future reference).

Before shot

After shot

Rotary Switch

RAM

EEPROMs right side 1

EEPROMs right side 2

EEPROMs left side

EEPROM solder side

RAM solder side

2. WILL DO! Thanks so much for your patience!

3. By "THM7128" I think I do mean the metal heat sink, (those are the letters/numbers on it). And whoooops :icon_redface:

Let me know if you need more/better pics. I know the EEPROMs look pretty sloppy with the soldering, but I'm pretty sure everything is touching that should be... again I am using a chisel-tip (but there are no excuses in the world of soldering  :'(

Govmnt_Lacky

REMOVE the (2) purple wires going to the PCB and the White wire soldered to one of the jacks. Remove them COMPLETELY. Along with the resistor on the purple wire near the switch. You DO NOT need them.

That wiring is only used on the later XP100 pedals that had the program embedded on the CPU. Your pedal had the program on an EEPROM so you do not need to install these wires.

Remove the wires... perform a Factory Reset.... and let us know what happened.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

shoegazecity

I've removed the 2 purple wires going to the PCB, along with the ground wire going to the J2 jack. Tried to perform a factory reset, but nothing has changed. Still blank screen, no sound.

shoegazecity

The adapter that came with the unit on eBay says the following:

P/N: PS750
Input: 120VAC 60Hz 15W
Output: 9.75VAC 820mA

Could this be the problem? I think the units output is supposed to be 9V instead of 9.75, but the adapter worked with the stock XP100 previously...

Govmnt_Lacky

OK... looks like you will need to do some troubleshooting. Do you have a multimeter?

You will need to check the power outputs of the regulators. You will also need to check all of your solder joints and connections. My #2 suspect (#1 being the wires you removed... which needed to be removed) was your soldering. You could have some cold solder joints all over the place.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, send me a PM and I will hook you up with the info you need to troubleshoot.  ;)

I am hoping that the wires you removed did not fry something (the hot regulator is a clue)  :-\

bTW... that power supply is fine!

shoegazecity

Not sure if my PM sent, (sent messages says empty)... but I do have a multimeter and am currently checking for cold solder joints.

Not sure what you meant by "check the power outputs of the regulators". Not sure exactly what component I'm supposed to be checking.. But please PM me or just let me know how to troubleshoot it.

thanks

Govmnt_Lacky

Baran Ismen

Hello.

[crossposted - removed]