Earthquaker Devices: Sea Machine Chorus V2. Overpowered 12v issue.

Started by hammer8994, July 02, 2015, 12:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer8994

Accidentally sent 12v to my chorus pedal, which is a big nono for this pedal. Tryna poke around with a multi meter and the PT2399 chip is getting 9v, which seems due to the L7805CV regulator not dropping the voltage to 5v? Switched over the regulator with an ST made version of the chip I had sitting around. And im still getting 9v on the output of the regulator.

All the caps look to be rated for a minimum of 25v, are there parts which could be causing the voltage not lowering to 5v over the regulator?

Still passes signal/turns on off etc.

mth5044

If you put the regulator in backwards, it will die and 9V will come through. Im not sure what else would cause a regulator to not work besides a wrong voltage or wrong pin out. Your PT2399 is likely gone also.

slacker

12 Volts DC won't kill a 7805 regulator and probably won't kill anything else in a pedal either, was it 12 Volts AC or the wrong polarity DC?

anotherjim

Maybe the neg/ground supply has blown open or gone high resistance in the regulator circuit. I don't know what, if any, power fault protection this pedal has, but it could be in the negative side and failure there could cause the regulator GND pin to float up giving the appearance of no regulation. Check for this - Insert plug in guitar input jack (no power applied) and continuity test with meter between jack sleeve, 7805 centre leg and PT2399 pins 3&4.