A Killswitch with no popping

Started by Bishop Vogue, July 12, 2015, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop Vogue

Hey all.  I recently built the Beavis Killswitch and, although it was good, the popping noise was a drag.  I experimented with pulldown resistors of different values and even a cap to ground, but no dice.  Then I had an idea, and, after a few minutes messing around came up with the design below.  Tested and works a charm.  Thought someone else might find it useful.

(The LED and LED should be isolated in an optocoupler.  Don't forget 2K2 resistor b/t LED & 9v)

Joe

Nice idea and drawing, thanks for sharing.

DDD

Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Bishop Vogue

Knew I was forgetting something... you'll also need a 2K2 resistor (or similar) between the LED and 9v.  Probably goes without saying...

(I added a note to the original post)

Brisance

Wouldnt it be better to use the LDR with a resistor in a voltage divider configuration to pull the signal down instead of just in series?

Groovenut

Quote from: Brisance on July 13, 2015, 03:56:10 AM
Wouldnt it be better to use the LDR with a resistor in a voltage divider configuration to pull the signal down instead of just in series?
You could put a 1M shunt resistor across the output jack but there really isn't any need for it. The LDR will use the input impedance of the following circuit as a shunt resistance and function pretty much the same way with one less part. IMO, YMMV et al...
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

samhay

OP - have you tried it with a buffered pedal before it?
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com