I can't build a fuzz face ??

Started by seadi123, August 20, 2015, 04:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadi123

So i've been trying to build a si fuzz face , but everytime i get the same hum with no sound , so at this point I'm pretty sure the is something wrong with my circuit layout . For testing the circuit i don't wire the two pots , so the volume and fuzz pot are supposed to be full clockwise (no cap on fuzz put) . Below you'll find the layout and gut shots .
http://imgur.com/a/ujU0y

Elijah-Baley

I want to include the schematic, so we can see it easily. I think you are using this:

Be sure yourself, you are connecting exactly the pots' lugs, I think you can use it without further messy.
Do you have a breadboard? It could be simplify the work. Meanwhile, did you have verify the contacts between the components? Or accidental contacts?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

induction

Quote from: seadi123 on August 20, 2015, 04:53:02 AM
For testing the circuit i don't wire the two pots , so the volume and fuzz pot are supposed to be full clockwise (no cap on fuzz put) .

Are you replacing the pots with fixed resistors or just omitting them? I don't see enough resistors on your build for this to work without the pots, so can you clarify?

In any case, your transistors won't bias properly without either the fuzz pot or a fixed 1k resistor in its place. If you use the fixed resistor, you need to include the 20u (or so) emitter bypass cap from Q2 emitter to ground. Without the cap, it's equivalent to have the fuzz control at zero.

You'll also need to either include the volume pot or replace it with a 500k fixed resistor to ground and tap the junction between this resistor and the output cap for the circuit output. Otherwise your output has no ground reference.

If none of this solves the problem, post voltages.

seadi123

Thank you guys :D @induction i thought omitting the fuzz pot would be the same as having it on full . I placed a cap there and a fixed resistor and it works :D i dont wire the pots while testing , so that i dont ruin the lugs . Now i'm left with 3 working fuzzes . Thank you very much

induction

duck_arse

seadi, nice work on the debug. also, nice looking bc108's, all mine are corroded and crappy looking.

if I might be rude, and comment on your perfing? clean the copper nice bright shiny before soldering. use a scotchbrite or fine steel wool. and solder the component lead to its pad where it passes through the board, to provide the component with good mechanical stability. you can solder the lead then bend it to the next, or bend to reach, then solder at the pad (I don't care which). and trim all those excesses, they'll only be trubble later.

how do they sound?
don't make me draw another line.

seadi123

Thanks for the feedback duck-arse . Actualy , it was only today , after seeing the photos , that i realised my soldering job was terrible . I'll absolutely follow your advice next time i solder . It's just been easier for me to twist the leads to eachother and then solder , that way i only have 4-5 points to solder . I'm a newbie . It doesnt realy seem to affect the sound , but there is a LOT more possibility for things to go wrong . I know i should have started with pcbs first .

smallbearelec

Quote from: seadi123 on August 20, 2015, 12:52:51 PM
It doesnt realy seem to affect the sound , but there is a LOT more possibility for things to go wrong .

Correct!

Quote from: seadi123 on August 20, 2015, 12:52:51 PM
I know i should have started with pcbs first .

I politely disagree. Start by learning to use a breadboard:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=43.0

THEN build on perf, but work with a layout that has been carefully vetted and designed to put off-board connections in convenient locations:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=44.0

I don't have one today on that small board for the Fuzz Face, but I will work on it and post ASAP. The article will give you an idea what to expect and the general procedure for putting a two-knob build in an enclosure.

You made a normal beginner mistake in attempting to create your own layout too early in the game...understandable. Back up on the learning curve a bit and build some solid prototyping and construction skills. Enjoy your new hobby!

Regards
SD

seadi123

Thank you @smallbearelec , awesome articles :D actualy mine can not even be called a layout , i just put the circuit on board as-is , but upside down :/ Thanks for the feedback  , gonna buy a breadbord very soon :)

hymenoptera

Quote from: seadi123 on August 20, 2015, 09:10:23 AM...
D i dont wire the pots while testing , so that i dont ruin the lugs .

I've cut several alligator (crocodile? depending on where you're located) clips that you can buy anywhere in half, then stripped and tinned the ends of the wires to make them stiff enough to plug into solderless breadboard, etc. These are great for connecting to pots and switches when you don't want to ruin something with repeated heating.
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

deadastronaut

BREADBOARD, BREADboard, breadboard, breadboard,breadboard... ;)

great for tweaking...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//