Popping noisy switch in Marshall VS102R combo amp. Please help?

Started by FuzzFanatic71, September 10, 2015, 03:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzFanatic71

Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
The switch is starting to pop loudly when I touch it, turn the amp off and sometimes just when I'm playing. Scares the absolute crap out of me when it happens, but I'm highly strung like a cat. It's a push button type switch. It is still latching so I'm guessing there may be some dirt or something in there. I pulled the amp section out of of the box to have a look and see if I could replace it with a 240v rated toggle switch but that doesn't look promising. I've had it about 15 years and despite the lack of love the Valvestate amps get out there, I actually do love it so I want it back in tip top shape. Best amp for crazy dirty noise rock. What should I do to fix it?
Why won't this @$&$ing thing work?

FuzzFanatic71

hymenoptera

Do any of the other controls do this too?

I have two Valvestate combos here, a 1x12 and a 2x12, both exibiting the same problem. Many controls, both switches and pots, all cause sudden and LOUD popping with only the slightest touch to them. I'm guessing DC appearing on the ground due to some poor ground connection or PSU problem. One of the amps, the  noise is so bad on channel two that it's unusable. And it's also either dead silent or full blast. I haven't opened either of them up to try and figure what the problem is, as I'm not really an "amp guy" and I have other amps, so..

But does it sound like a similar thing with your Marshall? Sudden, and SUPER-loud, crackles when you so much as tickle the switch?
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

FuzzFanatic71

Nah it just seems to be the power switch. But I don't tweak any of the other controls. I just run it permanently on the O/D 1 channel with the gain just on the edge of breakup and volume at halfway. No reverb. All the amps eq controls pointing north and use an eq pedal on the board to shape the tone. I just turn on the amp and all my sounds come from pedals. It's all about the pedals.  :icon_lol: