WOW! metal etching with a 9v battery

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, September 12, 2015, 12:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

FuzzFanatic71

Mmmm, wonder if you can use that method to etch a small designs and control names on an aluminium enclosure.
Why won't this @$&$ing thing work?

J0K3RX

Yes, you sure can, and only using saltwater maybe vinegar mix... I only use salt and works great. You can even etch pcb as well.

Using a 9v battery is a bit expensive since you will probably use 3 or more doing anything of any good size on a pedal.

Look here..
http://keithwiley.com/electro-etcher-plater-marker.shtml   
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

LightSoundGeometry

this is cool, thanks for posting! I am going to give this a try soon

dennism

Thanks for sharing this, looking forward to trying it.    As far as the issue with using a ton of 9V batteries, couldn't you just rig up a DC jack to use your Boss pedal adaptor to etch instead of a battery?  Basic precautions to avoid electrocution like not standing in a puddle while you're etching, etc...

stonerbox

Thanks for sharing FUẔẔẔẔẓẓẓẓ! I gotta put some time off for this.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

FuzzFanatic71

Quote from: dennism on September 13, 2015, 07:25:57 AM
Thanks for sharing this, looking forward to trying it.    As far as the issue with using a ton of 9V batteries, couldn't you just rig up a DC jack to use your Boss pedal adaptor to etch instead of a battery?  Basic precautions to avoid electrocution like not standing in a puddle while you're etching, etc...
I thought the same thing. I've been reading up on the subject and I think you might need at least few amps of current. Not 100% sure though. Give it a try if you have a spare. I'm sure the worst that could happen would be damaging the pedal adapter.

GibsonGM

Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on September 13, 2015, 07:50:10 AM
Quote from: dennism on September 13, 2015, 07:25:57 AM
I thought the same thing. I've been reading up on the subject and I think you might need at least few amps of current. Not 100% sure though. Give it a try if you have a spare. I'm sure the worst that could happen would be damaging the pedal adapter.

Well, it probably will DRAW more than a few milliamperes of current, for sure.  That's almost a short between the soaked Q tip and the work piece.  You might find it over-taxes your small supply and gets it hot.  In theory, it could cause the insulation in a transformer to overheat and arc over, ruining the transformer.

Some power supplies are better (beefier) than others in this respect. I bet that by working in small 'taps', kind of like in the video, one could allow the supply to cool back down...like a "50% duty cycle".  Welders work on the same principle. 

I've cleaned old gun barrels in a similar way, with a steel rod suspended inside them, in a salt water solution, and didn't kill my supply altho it's a 30V 5A model.

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

GiovannyS10

Woow! Very cool thing. I will try soon. I think you can use all AC adapter on this, but is good you have one only for use on this work or only for be using in tests. Do not use the AC Adapter from your pedals.

I think if you use a 9V 1500 mAh you got a very nice work  :D
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

J0K3RX

Yeah, Mike is right and there is a good chance you'll smoke your Boss pedal adapter if you use it for this.. You might get away with it if your dwell time is short, tapping etc.. but why not just get something that can handle the load more efficiantly like the 3  amp radio shack transformer in the link I posted. I used that exact transformer and it handles a 1 inch by 1/2 inch etch pad and doesn't even get warm. If you can find a 9v DC adapter that can handle the current perhaps 3 to 4 amps then you may do well with it.. I just happened to have 5 of those 3 amp radio shack transformers that I got when they were closing the doors and I already had everything else so I threw it together.. I have modified it a little bit, but it's more or less the same as this schematic

http://www.logiudicecustomknives.com/knifeshop/etcher/electro-etcher_circuit.pdf

I have seen people using anything from a car/motor cycle battery charger to a PC power supply with good results... but keep in mind, the object is to etch metal.. not create job security for the county funeral director! He already has plenty of business and doesn't need some careless DIY'ers charred remains stinkin up his mortuary..! Be considerate, be safe  :icon_twisted:

deadastronaut

Cool...i would imagine etching the aluminium will be a lot quicker than the steel..

Will have to try this on scrap... 8)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jimilee

J0K3RX

Quote from: deadastronaut on September 13, 2015, 03:31:09 PM
Cool...i would imagine etching the aluminium will be a lot quicker than the steel..

Will have to try this on scrap... 8)

Yes indeed it is faster on aluminium but, I think maybe using ferric chloride is a bit faster and if you are using a tiny Q-tip you can plan on it taking a whole lot longer! At the end of the day you are still gonna spend about the same amount of time as you are still faced with the task of ironing the toner design onto the enclosure etc. As a side note in regards to the toner transfer and electro etching - You have to get it right the first time with the toner transfer because if you plan to touch up the missing spots with a sharpie you can forget about that! It totally boils the sharpie ink right off and disintegrates upon contact! The toner transfer stays on there good providing you use good toner and it bonded good during the ironing process. If you had some sort of latex stencil you could slap on the enclosure and re-use over and over it may save some time but as it stands it's not much faster and if anything quite a bit slower to etch this way vs ferric chloride. Also take into consideration you have to do this totally by hand and you will go through 20 or 30 or more Q-tips or 5 to 10 pads vs throw it in a container and let the ferric chloride do all the work. I have seen people using electro etch tanks with the anode/cathode + electrolyte for larger etching jobs and that is probably the way to go... I have not tried this yet but looks easy enough...

CodeMonk

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 13, 2015, 10:02:24 AM
Yeah, Mike is right and there is a good chance you'll smoke your Boss pedal adapter if you use it for this.. You might get away with it if your dwell time is short, tapping etc.. but why not just get something that can handle the load more efficiantly like the 3  amp radio shack transformer in the link I posted. I used that exact transformer and it handles a 1 inch by 1/2 inch etch pad and doesn't even get warm. If you can find a 9v DC adapter that can handle the current perhaps 3 to 4 amps then you may do well with it.. I just happened to have 5 of those 3 amp radio shack transformers that I got when they were closing the doors and I already had everything else so I threw it together.. I have modified it a little bit, but it's more or less the same as this schematic

http://www.logiudicecustomknives.com/knifeshop/etcher/electro-etcher_circuit.pdf

I have seen people using anything from a car/motor cycle battery charger to a PC power supply with good results... but keep in mind, the object is to etch metal.. not create job security for the county funeral director! He already has plenty of business and doesn't need some careless DIY'ers charred remains stinkin up his mortuary..! Be considerate, be safe  :icon_twisted:

I didn't watch the video, but I do recall seeing something similar sometime last year.
But instead of using batteries, the guy use a car battery charger.
Never tried it though but from the sound of things here, it sounds like a similar method.

FuzzFanatic71

I actually have a vintage telephone generator. They give a serious jolt if you hang onto the wires and turn the crank. Wondering if that will do the job?

J0K3RX

Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on September 13, 2015, 07:41:55 PM
I actually have a vintage telephone generator. They give a serious jolt if you hang onto the wires and turn the crank. Wondering if that will do the job?

From what I read about them it doesn't sound like a good choice for this application.. however, it might be fun to watch you try!  :o

In looking up vintage telephone magnetos I did find a good use for them :icon_lol:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2312278_make-fish-shocker.html

PRR

The supply probably should be _DC_. AC would take it off and put it back on again. (Might be OK if you want roughness instead of removal.)

The voltage only needs to be enough to liberate the metal, 1V-3V, plus cover losses in the electrolyte resistance. 6V is usually ample. 12V is popular because they are super available (car battery chargers) and you don't have to optimize electrode and electrolyte layout.

The amount of metal moved is proportional to Current times Time. One Amp for One Hour removes 0.1234 pounds of metal (some relation like that). This could be 0.1 Amps for 10 hours, or 10 Amps for 6 minutes; all the same. (Actually very high current and high removal rates gives erratic results; super low current may plate-back chemically as fast as it plates-off electrically.)

In a very real sense, the amount of metal removed is related to the number of batteries you run-down. Batteries work on an electro-chemical action same as electro-(de)plating. You are eating-away the Zinc inside the battery just like you are pulling Aluminum off the box (and with the same electrons).

Zinc may be cheap, but buying Zinc in the form of 9V batteries is VERY costly. Anything bigger than a few small letters, you would probably prefer wall-power.
  • SUPPORTER

FuzzFanatic71

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 13, 2015, 09:56:17 PM
Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on September 13, 2015, 07:41:55 PM

From what I read about them it doesn't sound like a good choice for this application.. however, it might be fun to watch you try!  :o

In looking up vintage telephone magnetos I did find a good use for them :icon_lol:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2312278_make-fish-shocker.html
Nah I'll just get the missus to hold it while I turn the crank. :icon_biggrin:
But normally I use it to shock sand worms out of the ground when I go surf fishing. They are great for that.

WhiskeyMadeMeDoIt

Paul is right as usual :) 12 volts is overkill. I have been playing with electrolytic etching and electro plating for the last few weeks.  The best etches comes from a lower voltage. The higher 12v etch will look pitted and not as smooth. I repurposed an old computer power supply for this. They have a 3.3 rail that has plenty of amps availible.   Instead of trying to use a qtip to etch you can fill a plastic container with water And add salt.  Cover all the parts you don't want etched with tape or similar.  Connect the negative to the box and the positive to a piece of steel. Keep them separated and turn on the power supply.  The higher voltages will cause more hydrogen bubbles. When using 3.3 volts it hardly bubbles at all. Do this outside or in a well ventilated area.

Many knife makers use dc to etch down and then use a low voltage ac to mark the etch.  It will cause the etch to turn black.   Be sure to clean your box as usual before etching. The temp of the water can also affect the etching speed. 

I have also been playing around with copper plating.  I'll post my results on that if I get the plating method down.   

This is an example of the electrolytic etch I did.
It was done at 12 volts. Notice the pitting.  Also note the fine detail possible. I used a standard toner transfer technique for the mask.

FUZZZZzzzz

well.. I've tried it on an old eddystone enclosure. The funny thing is, it actually works. You can hear it sizzle and you get very fast results. However, for a deep etch it would take you more than a couple of minutes and a couple of qtips (they get dirty fast). Also, make sure you use a fresh battery (otherwise it won't work). I tried with salt water, but read somewhere that you can also use vinegar. Pretty cool alternative for small etches i'd say. I was thinking about a power supply as well.. even make a small electric salt pool for etching ;)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"