Woody build report

Started by RickL, October 12, 2003, 08:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickL

I got this one up and running a couple of days ago. I used seperate pots for the two tone controls and an external pot for the treble gain. I also had to sub 0.033 µF's for the 0.039's.

I tested it with a cheap Les Paul copy into a JC120.

It didn't turn my electric into a mic'd Martin but I can see the direction Mark was headed in, it definately sounds more "accoustic" than the bypassed signal. I found myself prefering the sound with all the pots (except the volume) cranked. This might be due to the humbuckers on my test guitar. I'll definately have to try it with single coils.

It should fit nicely into a Raco. That'll give me something to do tomorrow while resting my legs up from running the Victoria marathon today (well I had to brag to someone  :wink: ).

Aharon

Did you use the PP layout at Munky's?
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon

RickL

Sort of. I used one of the earlier, incorrect, layouts and did the corrections myself. When I use published layouts I build using the 4ms CBCB method so it's very easy to do mods or corrections without having to cut traces.

Mark Hammer

Thanks, Rick.  For a topic that has had well over 1500 hits (original posting an Marcos/Munky's followup included), the build reports have been slow in coming, so it's nice to see at least one just to prove I'm not crazy (although there is plenty of contrary evidence!).

Yep, not aiming to replace an acoustic, but to have something that in the midst of a band is a credible simulation.  This design shares all the warts of ANY enhancer-type pedal.  Basically, if you don't start off with something that has some high end, and something that can reproduce high end, you'll never get there.  I think if you plug in a SC-equipped instrument you'll hear a big difference.

Still, if you could hear it even on an HB-equipped guitar into a generally warm-sounding amp, then just think what a Strat into a Marshall would sound like!

Bill Bergman

Hey Mark, I made one too.....what am I invisable? :D

Marcos - Munky

I started mine too, but I lost some parts and need to buy more.

Mark Hammer

That's right Bill, you DID build one.  When I last heard from you it was apparently effective at confusing mosquitoes but not much good at anything else. :wink:

Has your build progressed beyond the West Nile virus prevention stage?

Bill Bergman

It's been a couple weeks now and that longer than my memory is good for, but if recall correctly it had a pleasent sound, not as good as your sound clips though. Oh, now it's coming back to me... at some settings there was a squeal. It may be due to my layout which varied from the original and the cut traces and fixes that were discovered from the first versions. It's amazing how I can ramble on and I haven't had a drink in days.