AnalogKit on iPad - painless intro to prototyping digital effects, and some aspects of DSP

Started by Processaurus, October 23, 2015, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

For the pedal builders here with iPads, AnalogKit is a great, visual environment for effects building, as well as synthesizers. It's set up where you have a bunch of modules you can plug together with wires. You can open up the modules to reveal smaller modules (switches, knobs, LEDs, voltmeters etc.), like opening a pedal and looking at the guts, and be able to change stuff.  There is an online sharing for patches inside the app, so you can use other people's modules, and mod them, without having to make everything from scratch. Like, I found a delay effect, and being a pedal guy, added a bypass switch and modulation, right off the bat. There's already a bunch of effects to steal on the online thing; phasers, delay, chorus, compression, (I made a bitcrusher!) etc.

What made me think of pedal people is that it has an audio input from the real world, and can process sound in real time, so if you have some way to plug a guitar into the iPad (I remember a thread about making a fet preamp and special TRRS 3.5mm cable, I use a presonus itwo interface), you can build effects, and play them. Crazy effects, with sequencers and synced lfo's and the like.

The DSP aspect is there in an innocuous looking equation module, which you can use for logic, control type stuff ( invert a knobs control voltage, by saying "-[A]", for instance), but it also works on audio streams.  Like, I made a classic FWR type octave up distortion in 5 minutes, by taking the audio input, and full wave rectifying it by entering in the absolute value of the input "abs[A]", and then tacking on someone else's overdrive module.

There's a couple other modular systems for iPad, but I liked this one best, because the knobs are easy to twiddle, and you can hide all of the guts inside finished modules.

https://appsto.re/us/rx8R6.i

Edit: for mispununciation