Double Gate Drone Synth (Cat Eyes Edition)

Started by mattoverse, October 14, 2015, 05:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattoverse

Just a fun little drone synth I put together.  This first video is with the drone synth run through an 9volt operation head amp into 2 drum-shell speaker cabs and recorded with a doll head binaural microphone I built.  The second video is a direct recording.
Features:
4 oscillators set up as two independent pairs
The output of the first pair of oscillators can be fed into the second pair for interesting poly-rhythms
Power Drain Fun ButtonLED indicator lights for the rate oscillators (1 & 3)
Volume Control
1/4" Mono Output
Powered by 9volt Battery

Granny Gremlin

my (mostly) audio/DIY blog: http://grannygremlinaudio.tumblr.com/

mcknib

hymenoptera

It sounds great. The freak-out button is a nice touch; it really gives you some unique sounds that the typical osc box doesn't do.

Great recording too, btw. The stereo field is huge for a presumed monophonic source. I guess this is the doll head mic at work? Sounds like I'm right there in the room with you! Way to go!
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

mattoverse

Thanks for checking it out.  The binaural mic is just 2 electret elements installed in the ears of the doll head with a simple preamp circuit that is phantom powered.  They are not super high fidelity or anything, but they definitely provide a sense of space.

hymenoptera

Could have fooled me. Sounds cool on my monitors.

WHat exactly is the power drain button doing?
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

mattoverse

There is very simply just a large cap, 470uF in this case between power and ground.  In this instance the latching switch can be utilized as a sudo-momentary push-button.  On other similar builds I have also used a standard toggle on off, but then had that run through a larger size momentary normally closed push-button switch, so that pressing it cuts power, or power is cut until it is released.

Additionally, I think it would be fun to mount the power drain button in a hand-controller that could be connected via a 1/4" or 1/8" cable into a switching jack, but have yet to find the right sized enclosure that I can retro-fit.

hymenoptera

1590A is a nice size that fits in your hand. You'd have room for a momentary and a toggle or other latching switch wired in parallel so that you'd have a choice between one shot or hold.

mattoverse

Good idea, not sure how I overlooked such an obvious choice.  Will try to get some order and try it out.