PT2399 circuit troubleshooting

Started by stfala, November 13, 2015, 08:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stfala

Another delay circuit question from me  ;D...

This time it's a PT2399 circuit. I have built the 'surround/delay application circuit' from the datasheet to the exact values specified (i'll change them around later, just want to get it working first).

The first time I plugged in and tried it, it worked (delay time pote worked and audio was delayed) but with a ridiculous amount of distortion at the output. I then noticed that I had (naively) supplied the chip with a full 9V, instead of the 5V recommended operating voltage.

When I added a little power supply section to the circuit, that mainly consisted of a voltage divider reducing the voltage to 4.5V, the clean audio came out, but the delay didn't seem to be working.

I then tried using a bench supply at 5V to power it, with the same result.

Every time I tried a different chip, just in case the previous one had been knackered by my first mistake.

Anyone have any ideas before I go poking about with a multimeter? I'm just bemused by the fact that it was working (to some degree) initially, now it doesn't :s.

Anyone tried adding a power supply to this circuit and have any tips? Mine's just consisted of a diode, cap, and a voltage divider consisting of two 100K resistors.

Cheers.

bluebunny

You need to rustle up a quick 78L09 regulator circuit.  Have a search of the forum for PT2399 projects - they all use them.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

your pt2399 will load down the voltage divider, so needs a 5V supply that will supply. and running the rest of the circuit off 5V may be cutting things too fine, so a 9V supply for the rest. if you start with a 9V supply, and add on a 5V regulator, you should be good, as they say, to go.

you could 5V bench supply the pt, and 9V batter supply the resta the circuit, if you wanted to.
don't make me draw another line.

Digital Larry

100k resistor might be OK for getting Vref for opamp circuits but most likely the PT2399 pulls too much current and is not getting enough voltage ultimately.

Remember V = IR?  On a 100k resistor, 1 mA would drop 100 volts, if it had that much available.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer